iTunes Menubar current song?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheBacklash, Nov 23, 2013.

1. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

For years i've used You Control: Tunes
    https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15802/you-control:-tunes

Works perfect for me, simple controls and scrolling artist/song name. Well I did a clean install on my MBP for 10.9.. Just realized tonight I didn't have it installed yet.

Only to find out it's dead.. Website is down. (guess they quit a few months back)
    So I have the installer still, and the free serial number.. but it can't connect to the website to register.
    It still works on my other macs.. Just not the MBP now.

I can't seem to find any menubar app that I like to replace you control.
    I want to be able to just look up at the menubar and see the current song name scrolling and not have to click the controls to see the title either (scrolling takes up less space on the menubar) having next/back play/pause right from the menubar like in You Control is nice but not needed.
    Don't really care about rating the song etc.

And I do not want a box on the desktop either.. all self contained in the menubar.

Tried/looked at:
    Bowtie
    Smashtunes
    Synergy
    Bytecontroller
    Simplify
    Music Contol

Anyone know of anything thats close to You Control: Tunes?

2. TheBacklash thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

Ok, fixed it.

I swapped the HD months ago and had not wiped the drive.

If anyone else uses You Control, here is what you need to do if you want to continue to use it on a clean install.

On *each* mac save a backup of the You Control: Tunes app
    Go to ~Library/Application Support and copy the You Software folder.
    after a clean install, copy those backups onto the new drive, everything will be registered again and work fine.

the license is tied to the machine, so a backup of another macs license won't work (tried)

Installing this on a new mac.. isn't going to work sadly.
    Hopefully someone else will come up with a solution now that You Control is dead.