iTunes Metadata & Organization Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael73, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Anyone know of a really solid program to add as much metadata as possible to my iTunes song collection and help me organize it as well?

I've got a hodgepodge of info from just song titles with no other info to mislabeled stuff with info for multiple fields in one like "01 - Orinoco Flow - Enya" or names of songs followed by "feat. xxxx (Live at Redrocks)" etc. A lot of this stuff came from the free-for-all days on Napster.

Back in the day, I was religious about my music organization. I had a directory structure that went something like Music A-C > a-ha > Headlines and Deadlines > Take on Me. I created this structure more than 10 years ago - long before I got my first Mac. When iTunes sucked in all my songs, it goofed up a lot of the artist info by adding the lead singers name of the name of someone else on the record to the artist info. Now, finding all the songs by an artist is difficult because it's scattered alphabetically across the library.

Is there any software out there that can straighten out this stuff along with add things like BPM, find relevant album names where they are missing, add genres album artwork, etc.?

I'd happily pay for software that I knew would do a really good job. The biggest problem is that I have almost 15k songs and trying to tackle this manually would be next to impossible.

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

there are a few threads here if you search. how anal are you now? i did my 10K library myself. it was tedious, it took a long time, but i know it's perfect. even with software, you'll still want to tweak things anyway.

3. ixoye25 macrumors newbie

I am just finishing this task. In the process I used TidySongs and TuneUp. I thought TidySongs was doing a decent job, but found that it actually messed up more than it fixed. I am of the opinion that this product is absolutely horrible.

TuneUp has has worked very well, but it is not perfect. The trick for tuneup appears to be analyzing whole CD's at a time. This seems to increase the success rate by about 30%. Compared to TidySongs this product is amazing. Overall the its gets the job done, but does require some manual intervention.

Neither product offers BPM. I also ran across a product called Tagalicious which so far has some solid reviews and is from a decent company. No experiance with this product, but with it being new to the game I wonder if they have employed some better technology in the product.

Hope that helps some.