Itunes mgration from PC (ext HD) to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by supastarmd, Jun 23, 2008.

1. supastarmd macrumors newbie

Hi!
    Im a recent convert from PC to a pretty Mac :)
    I have a huge Itunes library which i used with my PC. All music is on an external HDD which I now plan to use with my Mac. My question is how I can transfer my music to the new Itunes without losing cover art/lyrics/playlists etc?

I will basically be using the music on the same external Harddrive.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.:apple:

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

don't even open the iTunes folder and just copy and paste the whole iTunes folder from your external into the "Music" section in Finder on a Mac.

If you have already opened up iTunes on your mac, delete the existing iTunes folder in Finder and then copy the existing one you have. After this is copied onto the Mac, when you open up iTunes, everything should look the same as it did on your PC.

Edit: Oops, if you plan on running your music library from your external, just go into iTunes, click on add folder to library, and then select where your iTunes folder is on your external.

3. supastarmd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the response.

question: when im adding a new folder to itunes should i add the physical folder where my music is (External HDD\mp3)

or

External HDD\ ..and look for the itunes folder there, and add that?

As far as i know my "itunes" folder is under Mydocuments\my music on my PC by defaut and not not the HDD.

Thoughts?