iTunes Move to Synology

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mattkidd, Jun 24, 2012.

1. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Hey!

Recently purchased my rMBP and its time I setup iTunes effectively. I have just placed an order for a Synology D212+ with a 2TB drive.

My iTunes library is coming in at around 500GB in size currently and contains many HD movies. Currently its stored on my external usb drive and the iTunes library files are situated in the music folder.

My plan is to entirely move the iTunes folder and media to the Synology and simply target iTunes at this location, then stream as and when I need things over LAN or over a VPN connection.

I need to know if anyone has done this and how would be the best way to move my iTunes library. It has been through many different systems and windows so its a mess. Would using home sharing and simply starting a new iTunes setup be the best option for importing and moving my existing media to the NAS

2. LaWally macrumors 6502a

3. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

I am able to simply move directories and locations for things.

My question is more in regards to cleaning the iTunes media folder up and setting up a new iTunes library via the NAS, would home sharing import be the best option or is there an easier method to clean up the content

4. LaWally macrumors 6502a

You are using very general terms like "it's a mess" and "clean up". Exactly what is a mess and what are you trying to clean up? Duplicates? Meta-data? Missing artwork? File types?

If you are starting from scratch and planning to drag and drop your content into the iTunes Library panel, then your content will be added to iTunes exactly as is, and based on your preference settings (e.g., keep iTunes media folder organized), which will place files into album and artist folders, and name the files based on disc number, track number and song title.

5. mattkidd thread starter macrumors regular

mattkidd

Apologies for my brief explanation ;) yes you are correct. There appears to be duplicates of the media within the iTunes media folder which is seperate from the iTunes library folder. The media folder is on the external drive with the library remaining under user/music.

Throughout the years I have developed this library it has been adapted moved from computer to computer and at times incorrectly, with the management for organisation turned off and then turned on. As a result of this there appears to be no definite structure within the media folder. I am also concerned that there appears to be some inconsistency with the library strucutre with artwork. Home sharing on the iPad doesn't seem to render the correct artwork for movies at times with one film showing the artwork for another... Could this be related?

I need to know whether home sharing import would be the best option or would you suggest I consolidate files instead. My concern lies with the home sharing import would need to go across the Network wirelessly back and forward between two macs and the NAS, which will take time. Would consolidating and simply moving the files over USB be the better option?

6. LaWally macrumors 6502a

I would target the iTunes Media folder to your NAS in iTunes preferences, then
    do a File -> Library -> Organize Library. You have the option to "consolidate files", but that will copy your files to the iTunes Media folder and leave the originals in their current location. Unless you want two copies of your media, I'd suggest leaving "consolidate files" unchecked when you organize.

As for duplicates, there are several tools to handle those. Getting the overall library and media set up correctly should be the first priority. Duplicates can wait.