iTunes "move to trash"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zacl87, Jun 15, 2010.

1. zacl87 macrumors member

Does anyone else's iTunes never actually delete files when they click 'move to trash' after deleting in the iTunes browser?

I've just accepted this over the last 2 years or so I've had a mac, but now it really gives me the ***** considering the amount of music I don't use that is just sitting on my HD.

Is this a setting I've got wrong in either itunes or trash (or finder)? It surely can't be a horribly obvious bug?

My itunes is the latest but it's also been the case in older versions.

Ideas are welcome

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It moves my my music into the Trash if I select to move it into the Trash.

You then have to empty the Trash yourself to actually delete them.

Or are you talking about something else?

3. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah mine literally does nothing. Doesn't move it to the trash can at all. I tried it again just before, moved to trash in iTunes then went to it's folder within the itunes branch or whatever and everything I had deleted in itunes was still there.

pretty queer

4. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Just a short question: You're deleting the songs from the main library, right? Not from a playlist?

And another question: Do you get any warning windows when you delete the songs? If not, you could reset them in the Preferences (the tab with the gear icon on the right).

5. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

Yes deleting from the main library. Don't get any warning messages, only the options to move to trash etc.. I'm unsure what your suggesting I reset?

6. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

If you're getting the warning window, you don't have to reset the warnings.

So you're saying: you get the choice to move the song to the trash, you select "move to the trash", but the song is not moved to the trash, right?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

• You might try repairing permissions.
    • If that doesn't help, close iTunes and delete the following file:
      Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist
      Then restart iTunes.
    • If that doesn't help, perhaps a reinstall of iTunes would be appropriate.

8. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

No dice. I deleted com.apple.iTunes.plist, restarted itunes, everything loaded in again, found a song - this time when I clicked move to trash it did, I emptied the trash BUT i searched the HD and there was still a copy of the mp3.

I haven't changed anything to do with directories or anything, and I made it so itunes organises everything. Quite the conundrum..

Thanks for the idea's though.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you sure you don't have duplicate copies of mp3s on your HD? Are you sure of the location from which you deleted it?

Try this:

1. Find a song in iTunes that you want to delete
    2. Right-click and Get Info on the song
    3. On the bottom of the Summary tab, check the location specified by "Where:"
    4. Delete the file from iTunes
    5. Using Finder, go to the location you found in step 3
    6. Verify that the song is gone

10. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh ****! Ok so I think all of my songs have been duplicated into an 'itunes media' folder whereas I save everything into just an 'itunes' folder.

I guess as the path of the mp3 was in 'itunes media' I can delete my 'itunes' folder without losing anything? As everything is duplicated?

And yes when I deleted it from itunes it was deleted from 'itunes media'
    cheers

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because you probably have this checked in iTunes > Preferences:
    Picture 1.jpg
    If you imported everything to itunes using that setting, it's probably safe. As always, keep a backup, in case you delete something you didn't mean to.

12. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah sweet thanks heaps for that mate. I did have that checked, be a nice 20gb of space back for my hd!