Itunes movie download dilemma

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dx052, Dec 26, 2008.

1. dx052 macrumors member

I like to watch movies on my Itouch and on my MBP when I am going to work etc and I am not sure what is the best way forward in terms of quality & money etc. I find the movie downloads from Itunes very good value for money and the quality and ease of access very good. Would you say this is the best option or would ripping the DVD be better? and would the quality be the same and could I easily be able to transfer it to my Itunes etc? I suppose quality & ease of access is the main objective here.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Depends on what you want to do with the movie.

In terms of quality, if you're watching these videos on your iPod touch or even on your computer, you're not going to notice any difference between what's available to purchase through iTunes and what's on DVD. That being said, however, it depends on what you want to do with the movie.

iTunes allows you to either purchase or rent movies. It's really easy to find one that you like and really easy to download it. The iPod touch can hold a few full-length films, but not a lot of them. So maybe renting movies off iTunes would be your best choice. But if there are a few films you'd always like to take with you, buying them off iTunes or ripping from a DVD might make more sense.

Note however, that movies take up a lot more disk space than songs do. If you rip a lot of DVDs to your computer, for one, your iPod won't be able to store too many of them, and two, your computer will slowly run out of space. Also note that ripping DVDs is usually a little more complicated than simply purchasing movies from iTunes.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ripped movies will always have higher quality, and ripped movies are DRM-free, which is preferable to iTunes' locked downloads. And they wonder why the pirates are winning. So yes, ripping a disk yourself is the way to go. Handbrake should take care of everything for you. It has presets for the iPod and so forth.

Edit: Renting from iTunes isn't a bad idea, though. It's a lot more convenient than renting a physical copy, and the biggest headache with DRM is trying to keep it.

4. dx052 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input. The stuff I am actually getting from Itunes is a TV series (The Wire in fact) so I am actually buying them out right. I have a lot of stuff on DVD & video as well which I would just like to download onto my Itouch or Laptop when I feel the need as I am only going to watch one thing at a time. What I might do which might work for me is just get a VHS/DVD combination HDD recorder, that said I dont want to playing around with loads of programs,ripping and all sorts just to watch a movie.I know VHS/DVD is literally dead in certain parts of the world but the thought of a Blu Ray Version of what I want would be a bit expensive & I am not even sure if MBP reads that format anyway?

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The purchased stuff will download without a thought. You may not even have to explicitly tell it to do so, depending on how things are configured. (I always change settings immediately upon getting new software, on principle, so I can't really speak for defaults.)

DVD rips we can certainly help you with. They're not complicated, but there are a number of steps. It'd be neat if iTunes could rip DVDs as well as CDs, but I imagine they figured that doing so would be encouraging copyright violation (as if CD ripping isn't).

VHS rips I wouldn't even touch. The equipment is expensive, the quality will be subpar, and you'll still need to edit after the fact. Watch them on your tube TV if you must, but don't try to take them with you.

No it doesn't.

6. dx052 thread starter macrumors member

Okay I am going to go down the DVD Rip way forward. I will download that program suggested and look at the settings etc. I will try one today and see how I get on with. If I get stuck I will come back here. Thanks for the info once again.

7. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I see it as a time/cost thing. How much is your time worth versus the cost of renting or downloading via iTunes. Even if you have a small DVD library, you'll invest a lot of time ripping and encoding.

8. iOrlando macrumors 68000

if you dont have alot of movies...theres no point in ripping and that stuff...as long as you happy with apple..just do it all within itunes...buy it and watch it on apple products..who cares about DRM. So many people complain about it, even though they only use it on apple products anyways..so it doesnt matter..

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I only use it on Apple products, and still it gets in my way. :mad: