iTunes movie file format

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AcesHigh87, May 11, 2010.

1. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I've never really bothered to buy movies on iTunes but have been having trouble finding Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" which I noticed the store has. My question though, is will I only be able to watch it in iTunes?

I normally use Quicktime to watch movies or I put them on a flash drive and play on my PS3 but I don't know what file format you get from an iTunes movie. Does it come as a ".mov"or something that will only play in iTunes?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can convert any file type to just about any other file type.

3. AcesHigh87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I know but sometimes file types like I suspect this uses cannot be converted with free software. Not really worth buying the film off iiTunes if I need to buy a converter as well.

Also, could someone more this to the iTunes section? I somehow missed it when I was looking for where to post.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

iTunes movie purchases have .m4v file extensions and use a protected AAC video codec. To my understanding this is only playable in iTunes, QuickTime, or an Apple device like an iPod, iPod touch, iPhone, iPad. I cannot speak to converting the file to another format, or whether that is even possible as I have not tried.