iTunes Movie Prediction

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by STEVESKI07, Jun 1, 2010.

?

Would you use this feature?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. What are you talking about?

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

My brother is an investment banker focusing on media companies, which is where I got this theory from. He travels all over and meets with media companies who throw out all these ideas of how media will be changing in the future. One thing he told me a couple weeks ago and I see catching on with Apple TV and all of iTunes is the idea of immediate release movies. These are movies that are released to the public online at the same time as they are released to the theatre.

Going to the movies is over $10/person in most areas and as technology has been advancing, watching movies at home has become almost as good as watching in a theatre. The idea would be releasing the movie via download or streaming for say $50 or so and you can watch it at home instead of going to the movies. Yes, it sounds expensive to see a movie one time, but think about if you have young children and you'd either have to get a babysitter or bring them to the movie with you. It's a hassle and it gets expensive anyways. After you have 3 or 4 people going to the movie, that would be between $40-50 anyways, so you would break even. Factor in the prices for popcorn ($6 at a movie theatre, $0.50 at home) and the point of this is made even more. I could also see myself being stranded in an airport with my girlfriend and paying the $50 to watch a movie on my iPhone. If you factor in the fact that people now pay for music when you can download it for free, it's really not that far fetched. For a good amount of people, time is more valuable then money.

My theory is that I see Apple picking up on this technology before anyone else. My question to you is, would you like seeing something like this as an option to the traditional movie theatre experience or is the fact of being in the theatre more valuable then the convenience of being at home?

2. troop231 macrumors 603

I've had this idea for about 2 years now, even registered a domain to start something. I've got the business model, but lacking in personnel/seed money. I voted no because I'd rather mine get off the ground and start something unique like Netflix.

3. STEVESKI07 thread starter macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Well I'd like to see your business model and see how you plan on doing this independently because I always figured the big media companies would be doing this. I'm very interested in this idea because I definitely see this being an option within 1-2 years.

4. troop231 macrumors 603

I'd really not want to spill details in a forum. Do you have aim?

5. azsprty macrumors 6502

I have seen this discussed on numerous sites before and they weren't apple. Apple isn't the only technological company in the world, Hell microsoft discussed something similar a few yrs back. I would prefer it though. With today's technology, HD etc, movies can be almost as good if not better at home

6. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Gizmodo had an article about this too. the MPAA or who ever was thinking about releasing access (rental) to movies months before they went to DVD for $30-$40. Everybody bitched at the price. I was the only one to think it was good BECAUSE I've have a similar idea for over a year. (Really similar to yours too)
    My idea:
    Have services like PSN were you can download a movie the same day it comes out in theaters and pay like $30-$40 (like you and the Giz article said). Expensive? No, unless its just you. Think about it. How much are tickets? $10 per person? How much is a small pop corn and soda? an arm.

Don't have to worry about sneaking in candy. being loud. answering your phone. can eat a steak if you want. Sit in your own comfy couch, in pajamas, (or naked. whatever floats your boat).

Only issues with this. Easily able to hook up a capture device.

7. troop231 macrumors 603

There will always be piraters/bootleggers, where there's a will there's a way. There is still a bunch doing it in the theatres even, so not that big of a deal. Plus the quality of HDCP recorded content through a capture card will be horrible.

8. STEVESKI07 thread starter macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I agree. You can still download torrents of movies that are still in the theatre's but they are nowhere near as good of quality as getting the real release of the movie. The majority of people either do not like to download illegal content, do not have the tech savviness (word?) to do so, value time over money, or would just rather see the true HD quality version of a movie to pay for this service.

Also, imagine of having the convenience of being able to download a movie that is still in theatre's while on the go? Being at an airport or on vacation is a perfect example of having unexpected times where you are stuck with some time to kill but can't really go to a movie theatre

9. azsprty macrumors 6502

If I'm not mistaken director Steven Soderberg released a move at the theater as well as pay-per view and DVD all on same day. Not sure how the numbers worked out though

10. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Imagine how many sites like this would pop up if you implemented this:
    http://hdtvshek.net/720/13549-nemyslimoe-unthinkable-2010-bdrip.html

It has 53 Rapidshare links of 100Megs apiece. Thats a 5.3Gig Movie. Thats quality.
    With a rapidshare Premium account, a automatic downloader like MiPony (http://www.mipony.net/), and some quality internet you have the movies your talking about.

I know they are not online the same day as theaters, but if you make that an availibility people will distribute.

I dont condone pricay. I wouldnt ever spend the time to download this and then archive/delete it. Just an example. Im sure theres some college kid sitting on his campus with a external hardrive taking its bandwith all day long, burning these to DVDs and then selling these DVDs for cheap.

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

cool idea but i rather go to the movies on a huge screen 5$ a person. i know right! 5$ is great!

12. STEVESKI07 thread starter macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

$5 is amazing. I'd much rather go to the theatre for that price. Where do you live? It's around $11 here.

13. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

long island new york