Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Has anyone else noticed that the iTunes main movie page lately keeps showing "sale" prices of like $4.99 for a bunch of movies in a list and then when you click on it and go to that list, they're still listed at full price? For example, at this moment "disaster movies" are on sale it says on the main banner at the top of the page for $4.99 limited time! I click on it and every movie on there is $14.99 or higher, not $4.99.

A similar list was like this yesterday under a different category listed at $9.99 and they were all $12.99-19.99 (NOTHING at $9.99, although I didn't check every single one). Usually the cheap ones are at the top on a list and then they start pushing "new releases" and such below that. These aren't like that. They're just not priced at the sale prices they're promising.

Another one. Top of the page. Friday the 13Th Uncut, $4.99 limited time. I click on it and it goes to the actual movie page and it's shown at $12.99.

EDIT: I tried reloading the movie list main page and that didn't work, but exiting iTunes completely and reloading showed an entirely different list of movies on sale and those do seem to be priced correctly (although that didn't work for me yesterday). There seems to be some glitches in their lists that don't get updated if you leave iTunes running 24/7.

EDIT 2: Nope. It showed The Terminator on sale on the top banner after reloading for $7.99 and it's $14.99 when I click on it.... There's definitely something not right. Time to email Apple I guess....

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Seems like you are seeing an out-of-date version of the store front for some reason. E.g. the disaster movies were a weekend sale 7/13-7/17. I don't see any of the banners you describe right now (but then, I don't have iTunes running 24/7 on this computer). Are you perhaps using a web proxy?

Andrewtst

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Recently a lot errors in Movies iTunes.

In my country Malaysia iTunes, last week "the iron giant" show exclusive price for limited time but the price show is same as previous, no discount at all.

This week one of the new show "Who's Your Daddy" banner label as 4K HDR but when you click inside it show HD only and no HDR.

Andrewtst

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Happen again this week in Malaysia iTunes. I think either their system problem or the working person did not do the job appropriately.

Goodbye C Christoper Robin mentioned Own for RM 12.90 in main page but when you click inside it show original price of RM 49.90, I check both PC iTunes & Apple TV 4K.

29816334728_e92af8402e_o_d.png

29816340858_43927c40c9_o_d.png

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
You know what is even more annoying that they have a sale for a movie and it is the correct price but it is the SD version. Why would I want a SD version which streaming 480p looks worse than native 480p DVD.

Reactions: Brenster

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
They wrote me back and said sometimes the banners, etc. don't get removed or added in time for the new prices (i.e. SOMEONE SCREWED UP). For my trouble, they called my phone 3 times while I was sleeping to let me know something they could have sent via email in the first place..... I did finally get the correct prices, though (they weren't set up yet; some of the prices went to $4.99 LATER (e.g. The Terminator); the sale got sent to my iTunes early and the disaster movie was hanging on too long the one time. Maybe it's because my iTunes is a few versions older (don't like to update right away as they keep playing with the interface). In any case, it seems fixed now (still haven't updated iTunes).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.