Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
If I buy a movie from iTunes, can I put it onto a thumb drive to use in my car? can I convert it into different formats? I'd like to buy movies for my kids and play them through my car entertainment system.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I don't think that would work with the DRM protection on the iTunes files.

Unless you have a really nice system in your car that has an iTunes-capable device. If so, then you could authorize it to play the movies.

Otherwise, does your system have any A/V inputs that you could hook a laptop or iOS device to? That would be another way to go.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I don't think that would work with the DRM protection on the iTunes files.

Unless you have a really nice system in your car that has an iTunes-capable device. If so, then you could authorize it to play the movies.

Otherwise, does your system have any A/V inputs that you could hook a laptop or iOS device to? That would be another way to go.

That's what's thought... I have the three part cable thing hook up as well as USB. I guess I could try my iPad.... The salesman didn't think it would work though. Can I put movies on an iPod that isn't a touch? Or does it have to be an iPod touch? I have an old iPod classic that I used to watch content on. Would that work? Or will I need a new touch? Keeping an iPad in the car will take up a lot of space. Could I use my iPhone?

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I wish I could help you more, but I really don't know the answers to your questions. I don't know whether an iPod classic will work or not. I suppose if you have the cables, what's the harm in trying?

I think you'll have to do trial and error on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.