iTunes Movie question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bonesone4, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Bonesone4 macrumors regular

Anyone know if it's worth it, right now, to buy movies from the iTunes store? I have a 50 inch HDTV and want to make sure that if I buy a movie that it'll look crisp like in HD...I hate watching downloaded content that's all blocky and low rez looking. Most of the video podcasts I subscribe to, I watch via my appletv and they look like crap. However alot of the HD podcasts look great. Just curious if the movies will be this way also...thanks guys

Bones

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

To make a long story short, IMO I don't think you'd be happy with them at this point in time. Eventually everything will be HD, but video sold through iTunes are still very much geared toward the iPod right now.

3. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Mmmmm - iTS movies are very near DVD quality. DVDs don't looks too bad on HDTV, and in many cases, they can look very good. To the OP - I would go buy a movie and test it. It's only going to set you back $10, and the info you get for that $10 is going to be way more valuable than all the "free" opinions you will get around here. :D

Just be sure not to test it with an animated movie (unless that is primarily what you be downloading), because animated movies tend to look better than normal movies due to their color saturation and solid colors, and it may bias your decision.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I think it depends on how big the HDTV is. I personally think it would look fine on a 26"-37", but the OP said he has one that is 50". That's quite a bit of stretching it's got to do... but like I said, it was only my opinion.