iTunes movie rental for iPhone use on plane

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kadman, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I have a trans-atlantic flight this weekend and want to rent a few movies to play on my 3G iPhone during the trip. I know I need to rent from the PC and transfer the rental to my iPhone but my question is this: In order to play the movie, does the iPhone need to connect to the ITMS in order to start the 24 hour viewing counter? I would hope not, but I just don't want to load up a few movies, hop on the plane and then find out this thing needs to phone home before I can start the movie!

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

2. interesting macrumors member

try one with airplane mode on. before you get on the plane

3. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

don't try it until 24 hours till your flight. I'm pretty sure you can.

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

yes you can... i just got off a plane and watched a rented movie during the flight.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm 99% sure that it doesn't need to connect to start. However, don't forget about the 30/24 rule (30 days to play, 24 hours to view once you start playing). If you watch a movie on the flight one way, you'd better finish it instead of counting on watching the rest on the way back. Of course if you're going across the Atlantic, you shouldn't have much of a problem.