iTunes Movie Rental

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 06Honda, Dec 5, 2015.

1. 06Honda macrumors regular

I wanted to rent a movie tonight using my Apple TV, and noticed it showed that it was only available in HD. In ITunes is has it available in HD & SD, ended up renting via ITunes and then playing on Apple TV due to being cheaper. Why did Apple TV show the same movie only available for rent in HD?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

In the main ATV Settings screen go to Apps/iTunes Movies & TV Shows and change the video resolution setting from HD to SD -- then the rentals will show up with SD pricing. Ideally, you'd be able to select this option when choosing a rental, but that's the way it works for now.

Also, you'll need to force-quit and restart the Movies & TV Shows apps for the change to be reflected, or, reboot your ATV.

3. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Please forgive this question, but is there a noticeable difference in viewing quality between them?

4. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Absolutely (if you're viewing on an HD tv of course). If you aren't fussed about quality then by all means save a few $ but as someone who's a bit obsessive about video and audio quality I wouldn't even consider watching a film in SD these days.

5. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Thanks much. I've only had an HD tv for about a month and I think it would bug me a bit.

6. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

In that case I'd definitely recommend giving HD a go. Only problem is you'll probably find it hard to go back to SD content!

7. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Quite a difference really. Less noticeable between 720 and 1080, but even that's noticeable -- especially when it comes to special effects.