iTunes Movie Rentals

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by canucks-17, Jun 4, 2008.

1. canucks-17 macrumors regular

canucks-17

iTunes movies finally came to Canada today :D, but the real reason why I am making this thread. How come only some of the movies are rentable? Also I know that Apple is working really hard to release the movies as soon as they come out on DVD but what is the realistic wait time? I am new to this and rather excited.

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

For some releases, the studios have made agreements that a new release has to be only for rent for the first 30 days. After this time, it will be available for purchase.

Myself, I am am sort of disappointed in the amount of new releases every week. I'm not sure how long iTunes is getting the movies after they come to DVD since I haven't bought a DVD in 6 years or so.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I believe you have it backwards: for the first 30 days the movie is only available for purchase, but after that it is rentable as well. This was done to avoid cannibalizing movie sales.

Also, it should be noted that different studios formed different agreements with Apple: some only allow purchasing while others only allow renting.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I could be wrong but I remember several recent releases that worked the way I mentioned. The Simpsons Movie and the X-Files movie were two of them, rent for 30 days, then available for sale. Creepshow was another.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

6. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

A question here. When you rent the movie do you stream it? Or does it actually download something to your mac?

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You can simply download the movie to your computer. If you have a fast enough connection, you can also watch the movie as it downloads.

The movie will delete automatically 24 hours after you begin watching it.

8. canucks-17 thread starter macrumors regular

canucks-17