Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gata

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Just curious:
For movies bought/rented off of iTunes, what are the respective resolutions (HD vs. standard)?

I'm pretty sure the normal video is 720x480.

Is HD video 1080p, or 720p? Is it worth the price difference?

And also, if I were to make a purchase using iTunes gift cards, but one card didn't have enough, could I carry over the remaining cost to another iTunes gift card? (This is sorta irrelevant).

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Just curious:
For movies bought/rented off of iTunes, what are the respective resolutions (HD vs. standard)?

I'm pretty sure the normal video is 720x480.

Is HD video 1080p, or 720p? Is it worth the price difference?

And also, if I were to make a purchase using iTunes gift cards, but one card didn't have enough, could I carry over the remaining cost to another iTunes gift card? (This is sorta irrelevant).

The only question I could really answer is that HD is 720p on iTunes. As for if it's worth the price difference, that's a personal preference. If it's a movie I really like or that would look that much better in HD, I'd probably do it. I would probably also buy more movies on iTunes if the HD prices would go down. $20 seems a little high, especially since Blu-rays have gone down in price, are in 1080p, and have the extras. The company is saving money by not having to produce a case, artwork, etc., so I think the price should be lowered.

Tec972

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
Just my opinion, I don't understand why people would buy a movie on itunes unless you really have a need to. Buy the Blu-ray. Better quality, more features, 1080p, don't forget the high def audio which is a big deal, and you don't have to store the data. It's always around when you need it, and many times can be had cheaper than what itunes charges. You also have something tangible and you can share it with people. itunes is just giving you a digital file and nothing else, the price should be much cheaper and there is no overhead like physical media. They have to pay for bandwidth for the 5 minutes it takes for you to download. No shipping, manufacturing, materials or any of that crap. NO EXCUSE!!

I also have a big problem with the fact that if you lose data for media you paid for you are pretty much screwed. So instead of storing my movie once, you have to store it twice and take up 2x the HDD space because apple is too cheap to let you download something again when they are overcharging you for the movie in the first place. If itunes just kept track of your account purchases and let you download it again if you needed to I would buy much more stuff from them.

So instead of one location :)apple:) having one copy that everyone else can copy from, they make everyone who purchases their content save it multiple times to their hard drives. Wow, they must be getting kickbacks from all the HDD manufacturers also. Just a collective waste of lots of HDD space all over the world.

To answer the OP, 720p for HD. 480p for standard I believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.