iTunes Movie sound quality?

cupique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Does anyone know if these new iTunes movies have 5.1 sound? If there is only stereo sound available, I think they aren't worth even a dime.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
cupique said:
Does anyone know if these new iTunes movies have 5.1 sound? If there is only stereo sound available, I think they aren't worth even a dime.
In the keynote, Steve said Dolby surround, so maybe 5.1, but sometimes people call Dolby 2.0 surround. :( I don't know.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Chances are, if Apple says "Dolby Surround", they mean real surround, 5.1 or higher—probably not higher since I bet they want to optimize file size as much as possible (and not a huge selection of movies have 7.1 or higher anyway).

cupique

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Can anyone confirm what sort of audiocodec these movies are using? AC3 maybe?

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
unfortunately, it seems the movies are only encoded with Dolby Surround. meaning 2 channel Pro-Logic. this is really the one thing stopping me from buying movies from iTunes. i'm fairly sure this was done because Quicktime doesn't support Dolby Digital (AC3). even with the plug-in i'm sure a lot of you have, it downmixes to 2 channels, it can't seem to pass through the AC3. i can only hope this is planned to be fixed in Quicktime 8... honestly Tiger has many problems with dealing with the digital output.. all hopefully fixed in Leopard.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Confirmed, it is not 5.1 Dobly Digital surround, it is old-school matrixed Dolby Pro Logic, which by today's standards is crap. Pro Logic sounded good about 15 years ago, but today it is hopelessly outdated. I'm amazed to see a new service offer it, especially from a company supposedly pushing advanced technologies such as AAC audio and HD video. QuickTime itself is capable of multichannel audio, and since eventually everything should be coming off the iTV box (which could have had AC-3 hardware decoding built-in), I'm not sure what they were thinking. I have multiple problems with the iTunes video service, but the lack of modern surround sound is a deal-killer for me right off the bat.