iTunes movie/tv Gig question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brn2rnjk1, Oct 24, 2012.

1. brn2rnjk1, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

We have 193 movies and 259 tv shows (so 452 total items) taking up approximately 360G on our iMac. It is approximately 11 days of viewing (for 360G). The Shows were either Handbrake or bought from iTunes. Does this make sense for the amount of space they are taking up. I know that it can be all over the place, but I am trying to figure out what size new iMac to buy.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It can vary quite a bit, depending on the file formats and quality. Rather than let it dictate your iMac purchase, you could store all your media on an external drive.

3. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

The higher the quality, the larger the file size. If there are purchased shows and movies, you can delete them from your drive, then just re-download them through iTunes in the cloud whenever you want to watch them. If they are movies and shows that are ripped, I recommend putting them on an external hard drive, and delete the ones you rarely watch off the computer to free up space, and just add them back on when you want to watch them

4. DagazaGZ macrumors regular

DagazaGZ

Depends on the quality of the videos, for instance I have 165 movies and that's 737GB. I recommend getting an external hard drive for your media, and the new Macs are coming out with USB 3 so your can get a fast connection. I recommend getting a large external for videos though as I've only got just over a TB left on my 4TB (almost 2 TB of tv shows and 737 gb tv shows). Going to need a 8TB soon.