Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Although the semi-official word out of Apple Americas is that invitations to the event have "not been sent" out, a seemingly inadvertent leak out of Apple Europe last week pinned the affair for Tuesday, September 12. It will be hosted by Jobs in a yet-to-be disclosed California location and beamed via satellite throughout the world.

Jobs will have much to talk about during the event, sources familiar with the chief executive's plans have said, including new iMacs and a much-anticipated update to the iPod nano. But the real push, they say, will be tied to the big screen.

Read on and be wowed:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2016

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Holiday season fast approaching...there's no way they will enter shopping season without a new iPod lineup. Period.

If they do, I'm dumping my stock.:p

And Appleinsider is sandbagging - hedging their bets that at least a portion of what they are reporting is true.

mterlouw

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2006
I think it is the highly anticipated iToilet with universal iPod dock and count 'em four AppleTalk ports.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
hyperpasta said:
Haha. Actually, it says its probably a new AirPort Express.

It doesn't seem Apple's style to make wireless n hardware when there is no standard yet, I would think they would make a Media Center Mac, possibly with a built in iPod dock, maybe adding DivX and XVid (or just sticking VLC on the damn thing).

Sobering

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
New iMacs? Are you freakin kidding me? I just bought a damn iMac and now there is already new ones! Pffff...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sobering said:
New iMacs? Are you freakin kidding me? I just bought a damn iMac and now there is already new ones! Pffff...
Welcome to the world of technology!

Sobering

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Canada
Unless it's just the 23" iMac I have been hearing about, then it's ok. But if it's a totally new iMac that'll fire me off pretty good.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Eraserhead said:
It doesn't seem Apple's style to make wireless n hardware when there is no standard yet, I would think they would make a Media Center Mac, possibly with a built in iPod dock, maybe adding DivX and XVid (or just sticking VLC on the damn thing).

It might not mean a using the Wireless N standard but using somethign completely different. Like the Airport Express is a Hub to recieve special videos that are coded specifically for it to make downloading a movie quickly, and to also be able to stream movies/tunes much faster and easier to your home telivision.

Perhaps you could hook up an Airport Express to a TV and then run OS X right through Airport controlling everything

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
iTunes Movies... and New Media Device?

Appleinsider reports that Apple is ready to introduce the iTunes Movie Store at the upcoming September 12th Media Event.

They expect that Jobs will announce that movies from at least one major studio will be available at $9.99/download with additional studies following. Appleinsider, however, also claims that Apple has been working on their next killer device. Instead of a video iPod device to drive movie sales, they believe a video streaming device is in the works:

Jobs many months ago commissioned an elite group of Apple engineers to get the ball rolling on an intuitive hardware solution that would more closely tie the company's digital media strategy to the living-room.
Insiders can only presume the device will take up the form of a video-enabled version of Apple's existing AirPort Express wireless base station, which lets users stream their iTunes music tracks from their computers to their home stereo receivers. It also acts as a wireless 802.11 router and printing hub.

Details are scarce, and the rumor site also reports that the release could still be delayed.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
"Media Device" = Does it include an iPod Video?

This would somewhat explain why the Paris Expo was given the cold shoulder.
"Bonjour, mes amis! The iTunes Movie Store is finally here! (but only in the U.S.)"

This way, they announce the store but also get a chance to demo the product at the Expo.

-Squire

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Insiders can only presume the device will take up the form of a video-enabled version of Apple's existing AirPort Express wireless base station, which lets users stream their iTunes music tracks from their computers to their home stereo receivers. It also acts as a wireless 802.11 router and printing hub.
This would quite possibly be the best thing ever if it worked well (it would have to at least output 720p, if that's even *possible* over 802.11g/whatever). I've been waiting for a device like that for a rather long time.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Not too many details: would this stream movies already downloaded or let you download/view simultaneously (like view on demand)?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Roller said:
Not too many details: would this stream movies already downloaded or let you download/view simultaneously (like view on demand)?

Ideally both. If you have the bandwidth then you can start watching right away. I suspect though it will not be streaming, but rather download via torrent environment to ease bandwidth on Apple...

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
I hope the movies are available in HD. Ever since apple started offering HD movie trailers I've been drooling over the idea of downloading a full length movie in that quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.