iTunes Movies & HD on Apple TV

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pandaboots, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Pandaboots macrumors regular

Pandaboots

Ok..I got a few questions regarding movies on iTunes:

1) Why are older movies from the 70's and 80's available to rent in HD? I didn't realize HD was a format used to film back then.

2) When I view previews of certain movies, it says the format is widescreen, whereas the preview obviously isn't...What gives here? (see 16 candles and breakfast club)

3) After reading questions 1 & 2, is it possible that using the HD term on older movies means presented in widescreen vs. 4:3?

I guess when I think HD, I'm thinking in terms of resolutions of 720p & 1080p, whereas 480p would be considered SD. Should Apple be throwing around the HD bomb so loosely?

btw - What happened to Live Free or Die Hard? That was a flagship rental when take 2 was launched..

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Film actually has more definition than even 1080p high definition.

3. Pandaboots thread starter macrumors regular

Pandaboots

Interesting....I didn't realize that. I assume though that today's digital media would still be clearer than any "older" film due to that older media being analog. Much the same as LP's vs. Cd's. LP's might be superior, that is if you can tolerate hiss pops and cracks :)

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

OK the older films are Upscaled so that is how they are HD. Previews to me mean nothing as well iTunes preview sucks. Yes you can use the term HD on older films if they are Upscaled.

5. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

That also explains why some older TV shows look so great on DVD; they were shot on film, while most were shot on videotape.