iTunes Movies on external?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deanops, Jul 13, 2007.

1. deanops macrumors regular

Hey all, don't know if this is the right forum to post this in, but i have a simple question...

i have been ripping my dvds into mp4 format and importing them into iTunes t about 700-800mb mp4 per ovie at about 15 movies.... this is taking about ten gb of sace on my new mb...

now, along with my 16gb of music, and the couple of iMovies i've made, i am down to only about 35gb hd left... actually come to think of it, that is really low... hmmm?

i'm thinking about getting an external 2.5" 100gb drive

now i want all my music on the computer - no doubt about that
    however, i want my movies on the external, is there any possible way to do this and retain them in iTunes?

Thanks.. if i need to clrify anything please dont hesitate to ask... thanks

2. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

Well I only have 12GB, and I don't think 35GB is too little at all, but it always helps to have space for when you need it (movie editing etc).

You can copy the Video's to an external hdd by drag and drop, then delete them from iTunes.

I seem to recall the setting in Preferences -> Advanced -> Copy files to my iTunes Music folder, so uncheck this and try adding video's from your hdd...

They should now be external and still play when the hdd is connected!

I tried this, it works!

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have the same problem you do, i am a neat freak and like my laptop to stay over 40GB free space. The best thing to do is get yourself a nice external hard drive and carry it with your laptop, something that is not to fragile. Put all your movies on there and you can just drag them when you want to watch one.

I personally use 2 LaCie Rugged All-Terrain Hard Drive, they are great and you dont have to worry if you drop one on the floor.