iTunes movies stored on External hard drive keeps buffering

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tx26257, Nov 28, 2015.

1. tx26257 macrumors member

I have move my movie collection to a seagate 4tb hard drive but when I play movies back there is lots of pauses and buffering. How can I fix this? What is causing this ?

2. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502

satinsilverem2

A lot of things could be causing this. How is the drive connected to the computer? USB 2.0, USB 3.0, Firewire, Thunderbolt etc. If you are connected over USB 2.0 or even Firewire and these are decent quality movies then they could be over saturating the available bus. Also I would check and makes sure that the file system on the drive is in good health by running the Verify Disk applet in Disk Utility.

3. MrTemple macrumors regular

This is a well-documented issue with the ATV4. Search around here and elsewhere to find many, many accounts off errors resulting from tvOS not trying to buffer the videos.

4. rihia macrumors newbie

I have tried streaming from a external drive connected to my airport express (extremely slow read/write speeds) with no buffering so usb2.0 will not be the cause of this

5. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

USB 2.0 can still do about 20 MBps. That's way faster than any video you'll watch.