iTunes movies to external

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Changen, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Changen macrumors member

I was curious is there any way to store my iTunes movie library on a external hard drive yet keep the music in the library stored on my laptops hdd. I like to have all my music with me yet I only watch the movies at home on my atvs. Also I use my unibody macbook for streaming Ive read somewhere that if the drive is connected via usb there would be problems with that. My macbook does not have a firewire port would this be an issue

Thanks in advance

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Just move the movies where you want them. You do need to uncheck Keep My Music Organized for Me in the Preferences for iTunes first I think.

But then, move your movies. Next Time you open iTunes and try to select a movie it will tell you it's not where it was, and ask you to find it. Then go to where you moved the movies, and iTunes should update the library location for each movie.

This is how it used to work, but it's been a couple of years since I've done it, but no reason for them to change something so simple.

As for the USB connected drive, I've never had any issue streaming movies from a USB connected drive. I've used Lacie, Western Digital My Book (which does have to come out of sleep so startup of the movie is slow), and Seagate.

3. Changen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply I just order a wd my book studio and am waiting for it to come. i try what you said when it comes is there a way to keep the discs from sleeping if say I was to leave my macbook as media player?

4. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

if your going to use Plex or Front Row as your media player, create a movie folder on your external disk...move all your movies into it.

make an alias of the movie folder you just created and drag the alias into your user/movies folder.

now your media players will recognise your movies from your external disk.

Edit - if your movies are iTunes protected, this will not work, you will have to either convert them or use iTunes to play them.