iTunes movies

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jakesky123, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Jakesky123 macrumors newbie

Possibly a stupid question... so I know the 8 and 8 plus somewhat support HDR movies from iTunes, so of course I promptly downloaded the ones that were available in 4K/hdr. When going thru my storage I noticed a couple movies are near 20gb each while others are only 6 or so, example being Pacific Rim at 17, Logan only at 7. What is the reason for this difference?
    Thanks

2. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

I have no idea. Near 20GB should be a 4k file but that isn’t supposed to be downloadable according to previous reports concerning how Apple is handling 4K movies. Does the movie say 4k/hdr on your iPhone 8?

3. Jakesky123 thread starter macrumors newbie

That’s what I had thought... and it says 4K and HDR but all the others do as well. I will say the films that are that size do look considerably better even on my phone, so possibly they are true 4K/hdr while the others are up scaled? Idk...

4. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Hmm, maybe so. That is great news though!! Thanks for sharing. I was under the belief that despite owning many iTunes movies, I’d never see the enhanced quality because I don’t plan on getting the Apple TV 4k. Which iPhone are you using, 8 or 8 Plus?

5. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

This is great news. I heard so much about how the 4K HDR makes a big difference on TVs, am looking for it to make a difference on the phone.

6. Jakesky123 thread starter macrumors newbie

The 8 plus, the two that I have that are the large size are Pacific Rim and In the Heart Of the Sea. Don’t know if it’s just a placebo effect from knowing they are 4K movies and all but they do look incredible on my phone!

7. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

My iPhone is a 7, and it isn’t anywhere near 1080p obviously. I don’t think it’s a placebo when I see 720p content and it looks like absolute garbage compared to 1080p content which again my device does not support the full resolution of. So I don’t think it’s a placebo when you see far superior picture quality on those. Especially considering the fact that they’re near-20GB files. This means that they have far far more information which you are seeing some of, whether it’s less compression or otherwise.

At the very minimum you are getting true 1080p for the first time on your iPhone, because all other movies you’ve watched on it were compressed such that they were not near their actual 1080p resolution. But even with the compression on the 4k movie, you achieve the 1080p