Itunes, Moving back from Leopard to Tiger?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jst333, Dec 20, 2018.

1. jst333 macrumors newbie

jst333

Hi Guys, has anybody tried this or know if its possible? I have an extensive Itunes library i've built over the years in 10.5. I want to set up a G5 tiger and shapeshifter themes just for playing itunes with a dark mode. Thanks

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

3. jst333 thread starter macrumors newbie

jst333

Hey thanks for the the links, I'm definitely going to go that route. I spent a long night trying to make shapeshifter work. I had forgotten what a "cluster bleep" that software was with later versions of Tiger. Also forgot how fast and light weight Tiger was.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I had no issues with Shapeshifter, but Tiger's speed has never enticed me. I value stability much more and in a networked PC/Mac environment Tiger has a lot of stability problems. It's implementation as a print server is a joke.

It took third party applications to work as expected in this environment and working with a Windows server required shutting off a lot of the security features on the server.

That said, just for personal use I never had issues.

I stick with Leopard though because it can be optimized and it's far more elegant in network environments (including my home network). It will never be faster than Tiger, but optimized it's quite usable and enjoyable. I'm different than a lot of other people it seems in that I am always willing to sacrifice some speed for a particular reason.

I do have Tiger Server installed on my G3 server though. The file system gets touchy with sparse bundle images created by Leopard though (such as those created from a Leopard/Snow Leopard/Mountain Lion Time Machine backup). Not a format Tiger recognizes and it doesn't really deal well with.

5. Project Alice macrumors 6502a

Project Alice

Personally I find the speed difference in Tiger and Leopard negligible. With G4s that have over 1GB of ram the difference in speed to me is so small it's pointless to use Tiger. I've noticed the biggest thing with Leopard is you need a decent graphics card for it to run well. It runs so much smoother on my dual 450Mhz sawtooth with a geforce 6200 than it runs on my 1Ghz iMac G4 which uses a Geforce4 MX.