iTunes: Moving from PC to Mac Mini, but some customizations. How?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dmk1974, May 21, 2013.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Hello,

I haven't found the right migration guide for my situation, so I thought I'd try here.

Current:
    • Windows 8 PC with a SSD boot drive and second internal 1 TB hard drive.
    • All my media (music, videos, photos) are on the internal 1 TB hard drive.
    • iTunes is configured to point to the media folder on that 1 TB drive.
    • iTunes is also set to save all my iOS backups to a folder on that 1 TB drive.

New:
    • Just bought a 2012 Mac Mini
    • Partitioned the 1 TB internal drive so 100 GB for boot/programs and 900 GB for media.
    • Copied all my media from my PC to a folder on the 900 GB partition.
    • In iTunes, went to Preferences>Advanced to point to my media folder on the 900 GB partition.

Nothing shows in iTunes yet. Nor any of my iOS backups listed in the Devices tab. Nor my playlists. I'm sure I must be missing something obvious from my copy over. Can someone step me through what I need to do to complete this migration? Thanks!

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Hold down the option key while launching iTunes. You will get a dialog asking which iTunes library you'd like to open. Browse to your library to select and open it.

3. aham23 macrumors regular

digging up this old post, but have a question on itunes library selection.

have a brand new iMac, managed to network it with my PC and transfer the PC iTunes library to the iMac. super slick and easy.

the iMac has an empty library folder and the transfered folder with all my tunes from the PC. do i have to hit option every time i open iTunes or can i set a default library. can i just delete the empty library folder?

much thanks.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Now if you want to transfer the iTunes Library to an external let iTunes do the heavy work according the blog post How to move an iTunes library to an external drive.

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

It's worth pointing out that Apple has a Windows Migration Assistant app for Windows, which you can download, install and run on a Windows PC, in conjunction with the OS X Migration Assistant on your Mac.

This is the easiest way to transfer your data from a PC to a Mac.