iTunes moving Library questions and problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OldCorpse, Sep 17, 2010.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

The mini I played music from died. So, I needed to move everything over to my iMac.

Here's how I had it on the mini - it was running Tiger, so the iTunes was version 9 - and the actual audio files were on an external drive, while the library data file was on the mini hard drive.

I managed to get a copy of the library data file from the mini as Library.xml and simply hooked up the external drives with the audio files to my iMac running OS X 10.6.4, and I transplanted the Library.xml file to the iMac iTunes folder. Unfortunately, the Library.xml file is a few days old and so not complete (I added a few albums since that file was made). Now when I open iTunes 10 on my iMac, it doesn't show these newest albums, although the audio files are obviously on the external drive.

Questions:

1)how do I update my new Library to add the new albums without losing all the metadata I added manually

2)I am completely confused by iTunes 10 - what in the world do all those terms mean? For example, if I want any new music audio files I add to be put on the external drive how do I indicate that? In preferences do I change the location of iTunes Media Folder to my external drive? Remember, I only want the audio files on the external, the library data file should stay on the iMac

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

if you added the metadata manually, it will be embedded in the files. just repopulate iTunes with those files.

ratings and playcounts, however, will not be preserved.

2)In preferences do I change the location of iTunes Media Folder to my external drive?

yes. pointing iTunes to the external via the advanced preference tab will put all newly added content on the external.

JG

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Thank you Jolly Giant, that was very helpful, and I did point to the external drive. But regarding "just repopulate iTunes with those files" - what do you mean "repopulate"? How do I do that? Right now, the audio files are on the external drive with all the others, but they don't come up in iTunes when I open it, so I assume the data for them is not in the library. How do I get that into the library so iTunes recognizes them?

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

assuming there is a tick in the box next to copy files to ... when adding to library in the advanced preference tab, do this:

using the finder, drag the files from the external into an open itunes window while pressing option on your keyboard.

iTunes will index the path to the location of the original files (which, incidentally, is your external) but not copy them physically, thus avoiding duplicates.

when you have re-added the missing tracks, you might want to consolidate your library for good measure:

iTunes > file > library > organize library > consolidate files.

JG

5. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Excellent, Jolly Giant, I did that, and it worked perfectly... at first I was depressed because I couldn't remember all the names of the albums I added, but then I hit upon sorting my external drive with the audio files by "date modified" and found all the albums added in the last few days - added those, and voila! Worked like a charm. Thank you again!

6. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

thanks for the feedback !

happy computing ...