Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
I just put all the music off of my PC onto a flash drive and want to put it into ITunes. The Help section said to just drag the music directory over into the iTunes directory in Finder. I did that and it seemed to be moving the music into itunes but when I look in ITunes, nothing is there........:confused:

I am new to Mac and have NEVER used ITunes so I need some help.

Thanks!!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oops, you're close. Don't drag it into the iTunes directory. Drag it into the iTunes WINDOW. Hold it over the Library on the left and you should see a green plus sign by your mouse pointer. Then let go and it will import. :)

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Oops, you're close. Don't drag it into the iTunes directory. Drag it into the iTunes WINDOW. Hold it over the Library on the left and you should see a green plus sign by your mouse pointer. Then let go and it will import. :)

OK, I did that and now I have all the music in one directory. I have on the Flash drive one directory called "Music" then sub folders called different things like "Pop" "Christmas" "Kids" and so on. Now they are all in one directory...

How can I fix this or should I delete everything and do it over in a different way to keep the directory structure????

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Well, it seems I need to hit "Make a new Playlist" then select all the files in the folder on my flash drive then drag them over onto the playlist folder in Itunes. Seems a little laborious. I thought if I had them in folders on my USB drive that I could just drag them into ITunes and iTunes would keep them in the same folder they were originally in.

Is there another way??

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Another day another question.

Generally, should I drag all my music to the "Music" icon in ITunes then check off songs and add them to an individual playlist? Does that make two copies of the song or does it just reference the song so there is only one copy??

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sorry I drifted off last night. :p

Option 1: The *easiest* way is to make sure the preference to let iTunes manage the music is checked. When you do this, iTunes maintains its library inside your Music folder, and it automatically puts music in folders, etc. You really never have to go in there at all, because everything else happens in iTunes (you can view music by genre / artist / album / etc, search, use playlists, etc). If you do it this way, when you're bringing in a file you already have, you drag it into iTunes, iTunes will copy it, and then you can delete the original file.

Option 2: Some people, particularly people who've become accustomed to Winamp on Windows (or to flash players that need you to manually manage song organization), really want to manage the file structure -- what is in what folder, etc -- themselves. You do this by turning that preference to let iTunes manage the library off. In this case, when you drag the song into iTunes, it doesn't copy anything. iTunes makes a note that the file is wherever you dragged it from. When you do this, you don't want to drag from an external media like a flash drive, since iTunes will expect the song to be available on Flash drive whenever it looks for it.

I really recommend the first option. It's much less hassle. If I get a song off a website or something, I save it to my downloads folder or my desktop, drag it into iTunes, and then delete it. Many programs like iRecordMusic can directly dump a song into iTunes. If I want to manipulate a song with another program (e.g. put it in SoundStudio to make an edited ringtone), I just drag it from iTunes to the desktop, which makes a copy, and then I edit the copy and delete it if necessary when I'm done.

Does that help?

Mikebike125

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Sorry I drifted off last night. :p

Does that help?
No Problem, you have offered so much help and I am thankful. I need to go and get some more time on iTunes to understand it more and I think what you said helps a lot. I will try to use Option#1.

I think from what I have gathered that if I drag all the files off of the USB drive over where iTunes says "Music" then all the music will be in the Library. Correct? Then I can create a new "Playlist" and add the songs from my library into the individual playlist.

I think that is correct......right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.