iTunes, mp3 files, and Tags that are not synchronizing...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yero, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Yero, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

Yero macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro (early 2011)
    Mac OS X 10.7.3
    iTunes 10.5.3

Hello!

I got my Mac about 6 moth ago. It was a tough transition for the first 3 month, but I already knew that it will be worth it and it was.

Anyways... I never liked iTunes, but I gave it a try and love it as well on my MacBook Pro. So I started to neatly orgonize my music collection and now that I am done through half of it (almoust 2000 songs) I am facing a problem that drives me nuts...

See I started to organize and retag my music on a PC and it worked well. I would use a program called Mp3tag and when it would edit the files it would actually write the tags, album arts, and all the other information I edited to the mp3 file. Then I would transfer those files to my iPhone via iTunes...

So now that I have a Mac, I transfered all of music to it and continues the process in iTunes. I edited all the tags, names, artist names, album arts to what I like it to be in iTunes, but as I now find out it only stays in iTunes and doesn't get transfered to the original mp3 files.

For example I added a song called "aaaaa" with album tag "aaaaa", artist "aaaa", and title "aaaaa" and renamed everything to "bbbbb" (tags and name of the song). It will stay with the new "bbbbb" tags in iTunes, but the actual mp3 file on computer is untouched. It is still called "aaaaa" as a file, and shows as "bbbbb" in itunes.

How do I take the information that is in itunes and synchronize it to the mp3 file on my mac?

That is - other then doing every song by hand back on my PC because then it will take me another couple of months...

Screenshots:
    1. How it is in iTunes (please do not pay attention to the song playing, bur rather to the song selected in the library):
    http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/959/screenshot20120228at230.png

2. How mp3 file tags look:
    http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4583/screenshot20120228at231.png

Thank You!
    Yervand.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you may have imported your music to iTunes with the following two boxes checked in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced:
    [​IMG]
    If so, that means iTunes made a copy of your song files. So when you edit the tags in iTunes, it's changing only the copy that iTunes made. It's not changing the original file.

Be aware that changing tag information in iTunes DOES modify the tag data in the mp3 file. You just need to make sure which file iTunes has. If your music is already well organized in a file/folder structure that you prefer, simply uncheck the two boxes and import your original music files. You can either move your music folder into the iTunes Media folder location shown above, or click Change and select any location you wish.

Upon looking at your screen shots (I didn't before) it appears the tag information is accurate. I think you're referring to the mp3 file name, which editing tag information won't change. You can elect to change file names based on tag information, using the File Renamer script listed below.

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

Here are a few scripts that I've found particularly useful:

3. dknightd macrumors 6502

If you leave the boxes GGJ indicated checked, then iTunes will automatically rename the file to match the tags.

edit: To find out which file iTunes is refering to - select the song control-click (or right click) - select show in finder

4. Yero, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

Yero thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello and thank you so much for a quick and informative reply!

Here is a screenshot of the same windows you mentioned in your post and iPhone window just in case.

Anyways... I got lost with what I really wanted and addressed a completely different issue... What my real issue is:
    http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1306/screenshot20120301at703.png

As you can see there are two screenshot.

First screenshot has a folder with an artist called:
    "Benny Benassi feat. T-Pain", that artist has an album folder called:
    "Electroman", that album folder has a song called:
    "03 Electroman (Original Extended).mp3"

it is marked in red

Then below there is a screenshot of the same song playing and in the library. In the iTunes library the artist name is:
    "Benny Benassi", with an album that is black because in 95% of time I do not want my music to have an album. Then the name of the song is:
    "Electroman Feat. T-Pain (Original Extended)".

So pretty much I added the song, and then started messing with it's tags and songs names and so on. Now the TAGs did get edited in the original files, but things like albums, or at least song names and artist names did not... THAT'S THE PROBLEM =)

And then I was gonna say something about an artist marked in orange, but if I could fix the problem above, then this issue will also get automatically fixed. So just ignore it.

So what I pretty much need is a script like this one:
    http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=filenamestosongnames
    accept I need it to work in reverse. I need it to take the filename from my iTunes library and rename the original file on Mac to it.

I also need the same scripts that will do the same to the "Albums" and "Artists".

PS: Speaking of the screenshot you included in your post.
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7827/screenshot220120301at63.png
    As you can see both boxes are unmarked. I've also included a screen where a box saying "Manually manage music and videos" is checked. I am wondering if this could be causing the problem addressed above? I am kind of afraid to uncheck it, because once I did (I think it was the same check mark) and my whole iTunes library got messed up. I don't remember what happened, so I can't really explain it. Maybe it was something else that messed it up too...

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look at my earlier post. Do you notice anything in bold text?

6. Yero thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It worked. Accept it only worked for the filenames.

So for artists I just moved files from several folders of one artist to one united folder and gave it a proper name. I guess iTunes follows where I put every song? Because at first I thought I wold have to relocate the songs in iTunes library, but the songs work just fine. So I guess it does it.