iTunes multiple countries - advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kepongbaru, Oct 8, 2009.

1. kepongbaru macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am an American originally from Asia. I have an iPhone 3GS and my iTune is setup to US as country. I would really like to buy songs from the Taiwan iTune store (because the Albums are in Chinese and may be there are episodes I want to watch).

Any advice from the forum? I have multiple laptops in case that becomes a necessity for the setup.

P.S. I want to be law abiding and everything. I just hope that commercial entity understand that while I want to be a full blooded American, I have another cultural background, and I also appreciate things from my past life. Just hope that this is an easy hoop to jump through.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You either need a debit/credit card from that country or buy a iTunes gift card specific to that country to set up an account.

3. kepongbaru thread starter macrumors newbie

I am an iTune newbie - do I have to setup iTune on another computer with another account?

Thank you.

4. th0ma macrumors newbie

You don't need another computer. Here's what you need: gift card from the new country, another e-mail address for the new account and an address in the new country.

5. davwin macrumors regular

A form of payment is no longer required when setting up an account for most regions. There is also an App Store workaround to get the "None" payment option to come up. When in the store, select a free or lite version of an app within the region's store and when you click on Buy you will get the option to sign into your iTunes account or create a new one. Click on Create New, populate the address and contact info with a valid address for that region (I believe the checks are done against zip/post code and phone # prefix) and on the payment screen you should see a None option for payment type. This obviously doesn't help you buy content from other regions stores; you would still need a vaild form of payment for the region or a valid gift code as the others said to do that but, it will give you a new iTunes account for that region.

After the account is created, there are no IP checks or anything so you are free to shop there, download any freebies or whatever you want and all the content is stored in the same central library so it's pretty decent overall.

6. M87 macrumors 65816

I want to do this too because a lot of the music I like is not available in the US iTunes Music Store, but it would probably be less hassle to just buy the CDs. It really sucks being able to see and preview all the music I want and then not being able to purchase it.