iTunes multiple folder locations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Shayne, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Shayne macrumors member

Since getting my iPod many years ago I decided to buy into what iTunes does wholesale. I have it organize everything and it does a pretty good job of it and frankly I can't remember the last-time I looked at its folder layout.

The problem I have recently run into is the drive in which the library is working with is nearing its capacity. So the question I have is can I tell iTunes to also use another folder?

In iTunes 8 -> Preferences -> Advanced the "iTunes Music Folder Location" box is rather large and it looks like it could hold multiples but I'm not entirely sure if its possible.

Any thoughts, opinions, etc?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just select a new location, then use the File>Library>Consolidate Library to have iTunes move all the media to the new location. You cannot have a managed library with multiple locations.

TEG

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, you can only specify one 'iTunes Music Folder' so you'd have to move it in it's entirety to another drive.

4. Shayne thread starter macrumors member

Yikes!

So basically its buy bigger and bigger drives. Damn shame.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Your other option is to deselect the "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library: and then you can manually place files where-ever you want.