iTunes Multiple Versions of Same song

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by makismagoo99, Sep 27, 2007.

1. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Here's my issue:

I get bored very easily of the same songs on my iPhone 4gb. Almost all of my music is ripped from CDs at relatively high quality (320 kbps) mp3s. What I would like to do is have a lower-quality copy of the songs that I use solely on my iPhone. However, it will bug me to no end if multiple copies show up in iTunes during my regular music listening. I thought about renaming the albums or something but I want the real information represented on the phone.

Does anyone know of a way to label the songs or organize them somehow so that they:

a) don't show up in my regular library
    b) keep their original album/artist info

Thanks so much for any advice!

P.S. I believe I've heard that AAC is better/more efficient than mp3, is this true?

2. AEP macrumors member

i have this same issue with videos, i have two copies of every film one for the iPod and one thats for watching on the big screen.

what works for me is i have two library's, just press and hold alt+cmd then open itunes, you can then either create a new library or select one to load up.

if im syncing my iPod i use my 'iPod' library otherwise i always use 'iTunes' one.

this could work for your iPhone, just create a new "iPhone library' and add all your lower bit rate music and lower quality vids to this library, plug your iPhone in and re sync.

because a device will only sync with one library, if you have the wrong one up iTunes will flash up a warning. Just close iTunes press alt+cmd select your other library and away you go!

hope this helps :)

Attached Files:

3. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

makismagoo99

That's a great idea. Thanks. I didn't know you could create multiple libraries. Still, if there was a way to keep them all in the same library it would be better. I dock my iPhone daily and it would be a pain to go through this every time.