iTunes Music Download

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by No1451, Jan 11, 2009.

1. No1451 macrumors 6502

So I finally did something I don't really ever do, I bought music on iTunes.

I was pleased, it was decent quality, all the information was present, and it only cost me $0.99. Then I realized that because I bought it on my phone, iTunes on my laptop REFUSES to download it from the store. It seems to want me to buy it again, which is flat-out ********. I own the damn song and I just want to be able to have it in the library on my computer AND my iPhone.

I tried the "Check for available downloads" function, but it says that my library is fully up to date. Is there anything I can do(short of sshing into my phone) to get the music file into my library?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When you hook your iPhone up to your computer, it should sync the new songs to iTunes.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Correct. The computer will say there is purchased music on the device that is not in the library, would you like to transfer it? Click Yes and you'll be fine.

4. No1451 thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem with that is that the phone was synced with another library, one that no longer exists due to that computer going down in a huge way and iTunes says its going to wipe out the music on the phone.

Is that actually going to happen or will it be fine?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If iTunes says it is going to wipe the device, it will wipe the device.

You can use some free software to get the music off before you wipe it. Senuti can transfer the files off.

6. No1451 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sigh, I would have thought they would have a slightly more intelligent system in place to handle purchased music(I sort of thought I buy it on my account and any library authorized to that account would get their library updated). Silly me to expect that they might do it a better way.

Thanks anyway!

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I for one wouldn't want a system like that.

My wife and I share an account, but I don't necessarily want the music she purchases in my library.

8. jbode macrumors member

The ability to have multiple accounts on your computer and an account for guest would be ideal.

So that you can manage your own songs for each iPod you have and also be able to add or delete songs on a friends computer does that sound like a good idea?