Itunes/music folder files dissapeared...help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AshVanguard, Nov 13, 2010.

1. AshVanguard macrumors newbie

Hi All
    i have a lovely imac g5 but when i switched on 90% of my files in itunes were 'unable to find...' when i looked for them in finder i couldnt find them either. i do not use 'itunes copy to library' but i have my files located internally and havent moved anything, ive tried repair disk and still no avail. is it itunes or something worse that has done this? im pretty miffed as you could imagine
    any solutions/ explanations?
    thanks for you time

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. AshVanguard thread starter macrumors newbie

errm whats that :)
    are you saying my files are somehow still here on my computer?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They may well be and (non-free) disk recovery software might get them back (the best chance for this would be to stop using the machine until you can run it). But no that's not what I was saying. Everyone should have external backups as disk drives fail. It's not a matter of if, but of when. If you don't have backups you are basically saying you don't care if you lose all your data tomorrow.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Impossible to say what caused it at this remove from your computer but I agree with Robbie Duncan, recovering the files from a backup, since its so cheap and easy to do, is the obvious solution.

If you didn't feel that taking backups was worth the effort of plugging in a $50 disk and clicking "yes" to "use this disk for Time Machine?" , presumably you arent that miffed,and look on the upside, you saved $50.

6. o'glory macrumors member

Have you tried searching for your music with the Spotlight feature on your Menu Bar? Sometimes I can't find music in my iTunes Music folder, but when I search for it... it's always ending up somewhere.

Hope all works out for you. If you need help looking for music, just let me know and I'll try my best.