iTunes Music Folder Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hanes89, Nov 13, 2009.

1. hanes89 macrumors newbie

Right, so i went through a couple of threads on how to deactivate the auto-saving of songs to 'iTunes Music' folder. That i have done. But I was wondering if i could delete the contents of the iTunes music folder as it is taking too much space on my mac. My main concern is whether all the artworks, lyrics and song info will remain. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Even though you've stopped iTunes from copying new material into your library folder, all of your older music will still be in there.

Are you sure you don't just want to move your iTunes Music folder? You can even put it on another drive if you want.

3. hanes89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, these files in the itunes music folder are all duplicates. I have my songs in another folder. But the songs in my itunes show that the source is from the itunes music folder. My main concern is that i have to search for ALL the album names, lyrics and artwork again once i delete the source file (i.e. files in itunes music fodler). And also tweaking the song titles Like This Cause I'm Picky Like That.

And it's weird that the itunes music folder is taking up almost 66GB while in actual fact all my songs (shown in itunes itself) take up only ~12GB

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In that case, delete everything from within iTunes and re-import.

Take a peek inside and see what you see. It's possible that you've been deleting stuff from your library without actually trashing it. Unfortunately, this is something that iTunes does quite happily if you decline the dialog, which really mucks things up down the road.

5. hanes89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh i did the tedious thing to look through my whole music folder and found out that the converted vids are taking up most of that space. And itunes makes a copy of it. So that solves a big problem on hard disk space.

And i guess i have to stick wih the itunes music folder for my older songs, just cannot delete everything and re-import cause of the album covers, song infos and lyrics attached to each of the files. I'd lose them all!

Anyway, thanks BlueRevolution for the help.