iTunes music folder location

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jjk454ss, Sep 3, 2009.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

So I have had my iTunes music folder set to my Time Capsule for a long time. Now I just replaced my hard drive and did a clean intall of OS X. Now I was under the impression I just go into iTunes preferences and change the music folder location to the Time Capsule again and everything would be back to how it was. But I change the location, and nothing in iTunes changes, still no music, podcasts, apps, etc.

Am I doing something wrong? What do I need to do to get everything back into iTunes? I don't want to try to reimport everything and have it all on my computer, I just want iTunes to see it where its already at.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Open iTunes while holding down the Option key, then choose your library on your TC that way.

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks for the quick reply. It looks like there is no library file on the TC though. It has music, ringtones, podcasts, but no library file. I have my old hdd in an enclosure now, would the library file have been on my Mac HD instead of the TC, and if I point it to that on the external would it work? Or would it try to use that external drive from now on?

4. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

So my music folder is on my TC, without this library file how do I get everything back into iTunes. I am afraid to sync my iPhone now for fear of losing everything off it.