iTunes Music Getting More Expensive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wicked1, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I thought Apple was dropping the price of music or keeping it in the $.69 to $.99 cent range. I have been looking at iTunes lately and all the new music is $1.29 why is the music going up when I thought it was supposed to be going down.

$.99 per song is fair, more then that it starts to cost more then the actual CD.

12 Songs on a CD for $13 or $1.29 X 12 on iTunes is $15.48:eek:

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apple gave up control of the pricing in the iTunes store in order to be able to sell the music DRM-free. It's the recording labels that set the price that you pay now.

If you don't want to pay $1.29 thru the iTunes store, you can check out Amazon. Often times the recording labels will offer the same song for less over there.

3. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

That's crappy because at $.99 it was sorth it, but now I am not so sure about that, considering you can download unlimited music with no DRM from Rhapsody for just $14 per month?

:eek:

4. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Uh..no. You cannot download unlimited drm free songs under the Rhapsody subscription plan. I am a rhapsody unlimited subscriber so I should know.
    The only way to get unlimited drm free songs from a subscription service would be to use a drm removal tool, the use of which would be illegal.

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

Their monthly plans are DRM'ed. You can download as much music as you want, but it will only play back on certain MP3 players (i.e. the ones that support their DRM), and only play back for as long as you continue to pay your monthly subscription. :confused:

Separate from their monthly plans, they have a MP3 store. Downloads from there might be DRM free, but it seems most of the new releases there are $1.29 a pop, too.

Seems like most stores that have negotiated to sell DRM-free music from the major labels are all using the new pricing system.

6. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

New release CDs are usually $9.99. Wait a few months, and they may be available for $6.99 with free shipping. Catalog CD titles are now selling for as little as $5.00.

7. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

Dizzie Rascal's 'bonkers' is 79p on iTunes, and 29p on Amazon. I don't see how they can compete in the long-run unless they cut their prices.

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Record Labels need to get off their high-horse. The 99 cent price was fair. Now, they charge 30% more for 4 minutes of music? I'm surprised they didn't charge people to listen to the radio.

Oh well, Im gonna keep on truckin the way I do. I'll get my illegal music and buy songs that are priced reasonable from artists that produce quality music and not crap.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Since the beginning of the iTunes Store, Apple has had the music industry on a leash. Apple decided that in return for removing DRM, the music industry would be able to set a price on its song. The music industry hates Apple, so it's trying to undercut iTunes by selling it's music cheaper on Amazon.

And no you cannot download unlimited DRM free music for $14.99 a month from Rhapsody. Not only is it riddled with DRM, but you need to pay the $14.99 a month for the rest of your life if you want to keep the music. If you cancel the service, you lose the music.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Although it's incredibly easy to get around that, and make it work to your advantage.

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

It's illegal though.

If you're going to steal music just torrent it. What's the point in paying to steal music?

12. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I noticed recently that the iTunes music had gone from .99 to 1.29. And to be honest..... it pisses me off. I was happy with .99 cents per song. I figured well, it's a fair price but it better stay there or go down. 1.29 is pushing it, and gouging us yet again. Way to go record companies, you are only pushing people more into the free realm. :D

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Not to sound mean or anything... but did you not listen, see or pay attention to what Apple was going to start doing in April????

$.69, $.99 and $.1.29....

14. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Have you heard of inflation?

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Apple isn't the only one offering $1.29 songs, Amazon is doing the same thing.

16. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Or ebay?

Seriously, once you find a few big reputable sellers, you can find so much music for such a small amount of money it's silly!

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

In a way, yeah it is stealing. But as long as you don't share it, it's probably pretty easy to justify doing it in your head.

18. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

For me, the $0.30 increase - in order to get rid of DRM - is worth it. It opens up so many more possibilities for playback now and feel a bit more at ease with buying online music. I don't think it's unreasonable at all. However, I used to buy music at Tower Records, where CDs were always like $1-$2 more than The Wherehouse, for example.

Now, if we could only get the MPAA to agree to an elimination of DRM, even for a price, that would make it fantastic. The movies are what baffles me, not the music. $15 for a DRM-protected movie, same if not more for a DVD. At least with music that had DRM it was cheaper at $0.99.