Itunes music help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by beatmaker234, Feb 11, 2009.

1. beatmaker234 macrumors newbie

I'm currently using itunes 8 and looking for the best quality settings to import cds to put onto my ipod. I just have 2 questions tho

1. What is the best quality setting to import your music and i'd like the best plz? and how can you do it?

2. Can i change the settings of the music already imported onto my itunes library for better settings? and how?

if anyone could give me step by step help that would be a great help and thx alot.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

1. The best quality is Apple Lossless, but the files are quite large.

2. Not without reimporting all of them from CD.

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

If you want to import in a LOSSY format, meaning you could hear imperfection depending on how much of an audiophile you are and what type of headphones you are using, then use 320kbps MP3 or AAC formats which you can set in iTunes preferences.

If you want LOSSY format that the iPod will play then go with Apple lossless. There are other lossless formats out there that are widely distributed like FLAC and SHN. WAV & AIFF are also lossless formats, but your iPod will not play any of those four.

If you're using standard iPod earbuds, you won't be able to tell the difference anyhow. For most people 192kbps or higher is fine.

http://musicbits.net/page.php?25 article on lossy v lossless
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1062956.html forum thread on it too.

4. beatmaker234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many people say that if you go higher than 128kpbs that the file sounds worse is this true?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, higher bitrate = better quality.

320k is better than 128k which is better than 64k

6. beatmaker234 thread starter macrumors newbie

So i go Perferences then in the general tab click import settings and it asked import using. Which is best? and the same for setting?

7. beatmaker234 thread starter macrumors newbie

k forget the last question i have a new one.
    Which is the best 320kpbs vs. Applelossless vs. AIFF vs. WAV
    remember space ain't no issue
    P.S. my music is all rap/hip-hop and r&b

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Apple Lossless is going to give you the best quality.

9. beatmaker234 thread starter macrumors newbie

i loaded nas surviving the times from a cd and found out that apple lossless for it was 813 kbps while wav and aiff were 1411 kbps
    so how is lossless better?

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Those three formats are going to be very similar for sound quality.

WAV is uncompressed - everything is there, but the files can be huge - hundreds of MB per song.

Lossless is compressed, but everything is there - like a zip file.

AIFF at that rate is also uncompressed - everything is there and the files can be huge.

It boils down to preference, and compatibility. Not everything will play all those types of files.