iTunes Music Library missing on Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scouser75, Aug 4, 2017.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I went to sync some music on iTunes on my Mac today and all of a sudden my Music Library is not on iTunes. I clicked the Edit button to see if somehow I'd unchecked the Music option, but the Music option is not even in the Edit tab!

I'm using the latest iTunes. My Playlists are still there. And the iTunes folder is still where it was in my Music Folder on the hard drive.

What's gone wrong please?

2. Crash0veride, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

Crash0veride macrumors regular

Crash0veride

I don't know why, but inside of /User/Music/iTunes is a folder called "Previous iTunes Libraries" you could try holding option while opening iTunes and select a previous library and see if it brings them back. Also could check the iTunes Media folder to see if the audio files are even there.

Could also try just hitting CMD+1, the key command for that view tab.

3. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks mate. I'll give those methods a try.

What is it with Apple these days! I've had problems with safari, iTunes and Photos. A few months back I also had to do a clean restore of El capitan!

4. Crash0veride macrumors regular

Crash0veride

I feel those feels with iTunes. It seems like they've been on this kick of changing UI and adding Apple Music features without ever pushing out a truly stable, mostly bug free release.

5. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi guys, an update and useful link for anyone else who has a similar problem in future.

I used this method to semi-fix the issue https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203225

It brought back my library, but I had a few issues thereafter - missing songs, duplicated songs and songs that would no longer sync with my iPhone. I'm in the process of fixing these issues. But at least the library is back.

6. scouser75, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update: need more help and advice please guys!

I now have a new issue! I have a heap of tracks showing as 'Internet Audio Stream'. These tracks have a cloud symbol with a down arrow, which I know is to download the track. I tried downloading 2 tracks and they now show as AAC Audio File.

These tracks are all from CD's I imported into iTunes many years ago. They were all OK until I begun using Apple Music. If I download the Internet Audio Stream files, will I

a) get charged for them by Apple?

b) Only have them for a set period of time?

c) Or are they mine to keep and it's only iTunes converting them to another file type?

I also have another file called 'Apple Music AAC Audio File'. What is this?