iTunes Music Library.xml

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ol3s, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

is there any way to use this file to get my play counts, etc on to my new mac cos as far as I know thats where that stuff is stored

anyone?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If you are switching from Windows to OS X unless something has changed you are out of luck. I did this about 6 months ago and lost 4 years of meta data. I tried the Apple store, and even went to level 2 support. My level 2 support spent a few days researching and determined that the meta data for play counts and dates are incompatible between the 2 OSs. Unfortunately most people couldn't care less (or don't understand) about this so it's not an issue (as evidence by your threads (lack of) response).

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/528.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/528.16)

Going from Mac to Mac should be easy, Just grab ALL the files & folders you can from your "Music" folder (there's the .xml and a "Mobile Apps" folder if you have an iPhone or iPod touch, maybe "games" folder & xml if you've downloaded any 5th gen ipod games, and maybe an "artwork" folder.

Also, I assume your actual MP3s are in the "iTunes music" folder (or whatever the default name is...)

Anyway, grab all of this stuff from your old Mac, and put it in place on your new Mac, and you're good to go.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You can import your library details, including ratings and play counts, by copying your iTunes Library.xml file to your new computer (say, the desktop), then from iTunes do File > Library > Import Playlist and select the xml file. Make sure you have all of your music in the iTunes Music folder first or the import will just ignore the items in the xml file.

Julien: I'm not sure where that Level 2 support guy came from, but this isn't difficult to do.

Edit: There's even a knowledgebase article about it - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

5. Ol3s thread starter macrumors regular

Ol3s

so theres no way to do this between mac and pc

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes there is. Did you read my post?

7. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

Well, for nostalgia's sake, you could just export the library to HTML and view from there. However, I will be happy for them to remove play counts and all that jazz. Those particular "features" are counts I wish didn't exist. It's like a mini version of Big brother (ha, oxymoron).

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

From the looks of the kb.. this looks as though you are going from one os to the same os or same manufacture ie... xp>>vista etc. Have you been able to test this if you are going from say xp/vista to Mac OS X? I am curious if you have been able to do this.

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes. I've done this from OS X to Windows. Importing a play list (of which the iTunes Music Library.xml is a special case) works the same on both OSs. It's the db file (the itl file on Windows) that's incompatible.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That article is from 02/09. I tried that method (over 6 months ago) and many others and the play count and rating meta data would not transfer. It looks like Apple has made some changes to make it compatible since I did it.