itunes music storage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by astromoose, Nov 14, 2008.

1. astromoose macrumors member

astromoose

Hello
    I plan on installing leopard, vista, and XP on a new mac. What is the best way/format/place to keep all the music files that itunes uses so that I can see them on all three OS? I know that mac os x cannot write to NTFS and that windows cannot read the mac file system without special programs. So what is the best way to do this?

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Maybe a NAS solution would be the best option. Here's an article that covers it. If you scroll down to the "NAS for the Home" section, it lists the drives that are iTunes compatible.

3. astromoose thread starter macrumors member

astromoose

Thanks for the suggestion, I thought about doing that. And probably will to some degree, though this is going to be a portable machine so it would be nice to be able to have the files accessible on the internal disk by the different OSes if that is possible

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

In that case your best option is to have the library on a FAT32 partition, which is compatible with Mac and Windows. You will have a 4GB individual file size limit though, which is usually not a problem unless you have large video files

5. astromoose thread starter macrumors member

astromoose