Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_icon_eu_flag.jpg

Polish newspaper Rzeczpospolita reports [Google translation] that Apple is set to launch the iTunes Music Store in ten new European Union (EU) countries. While the exact timing of the launch is unknown, sources have indicated that Apple could launch the services "at any time", possibly as soon as next month.

The report names Poland, Hungary, and the Czech Republic as countries set to receive new iTunes Music Stores, but the additional seven countries are not specified. Of the 27 European Union member states, twelve currently do not offer iTunes Music Store services: Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia. Speculation suggests that Cyprus and Malta could be the two EU countries left out of the launch, due in part to geographic isolation and their status as the two countries having the smallest populations among those currently without music stores.

The iTunes Music Store is currently available in nearly two dozen countries, making an increase of ten countries a substantial addition to Apple's offerings, although only Poland (38 million) and Romania (22 million) out of the candidate countries have populations substantially above 10 million. Apple's App Store is active in many dozens of countries around the world, including all 27 member states of the EU, but access to the music portion of the iTunes Store is considerably more limited at the present time due to the difficulties of licensing content in each market.

Article Link: iTunes Music Store Coming Soon to 10 New European Union Countries?

KernelG

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
SF Bay Area, CA
Always cool to add more regions. I'd be a lot more excited about China, Brazil and/or the Philippines right now. The content needs to be available, but hopefully major label restrictions won't rule Apple's choices forever (many regions worldwide now sell apps but not music).

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
What about Asia. Geez!

These things take awhile. Each new area requires the rights to more music that people in the area would want to listen to. J-Pop/K-Pop/C-Pop, that kind of thing. I'm sure Apple wants to sell music everywhere, but there are multiple governments and multiple studios to deal with, each having their own unique roadblocks to overcome. They'll probably get to it eventually though. Much of Asia is still a new market for Apple.

lukaszsw

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
I would count on those news. Polish newspapers and Internet blogs have been reporting iTunes coming to Poland for years now.

But I've been holding with my futurama purchase because of that, it sure would be welcome to iTunes option

RobeeSVK

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Slovakia
Last time I heard news about this topic

The currency and broadband played important role in decision which country will get the store next

Given rather uncertain future of EURO (at least nowadays), I think it will not play such big role this time - nevertheless Cyprus and Malta do have EURO and (the most probable candidates) Czech Republic and Poland have not :)

but still...if it comes to Slovakia, I will be very happy, we still lack a solid opportunity to buy digital media content here

bsz

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
I read the article in Polish and it doesn't say that the 9 remaining countries will be EU countries. I believe it will be Poland and 9 OTHER countries, probably those countries where Apple is present with Online Stores. We probably can expect that the launch will be announced on October 4th presentation.

Supernicklas

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
After years of endless waiting, movies are finally available in the Danish iTunes Store as of today!! :D YES!!!

The movies section isn't there, but if you search for something (like Pirates of the Caribbean) it'll show up and you can rent/buy it!

cudo

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
In my head.
Hope it is true this time and I will not be disappointed again Apple! Bring the music store to Poland! My credit card is ready ;-)

Discoverer

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I wonder how many decades it will take for Ukraine to get it. I have relatives living there and they certainly wouldn't mind being able to purchase content through iTunes.

iekozz

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Amsterdam
After years of endless waiting, movies are finally available in the Danish iTunes Store as of today!! :D YES!!!

The movies section isn't there, but if you search for something (like Pirates of the Caribbean) it'll show up and you can rent/buy it!
Same goes for the Netherlands :). Only 4 more years until they add tv shows :p

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Polish newspaper Rzeczpospolita reports [Google translation] that Apple is set to launch the iTunes Music Store in ten new European Union (EU) countries. While the exact timing of the launch is unknown, sources have indicated that Apple could launch the services "at any time", possibly as soon as next month.

The report names Poland, Hungary, and the Czech Republic as countries set to receive new iTunes Music Stores, but the additional seven countries are not specified. Of the 27 European Union member states, twelve currently do not offer iTunes Music Store services: Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia. Speculation suggests that Cyprus and Malta could be the two EU countries left out of the launch, due in part to geographic isolation and their status as the two countries having the smallest populations among those currently without music stores.

The iTunes Music Store is currently available in nearly two dozen countries, making an increase of ten countries a substantial addition to Apple's offerings, although only Poland (38 million) and Romania (22 million) out of the candidate countries have populations substantially above 10 million. Apple's App Store is active in many dozens of countries around the world, including all 27 member states of the EU, but access to the music portion of the iTunes Store is considerably more limited at the present time due to the difficulties of licensing content in each market.

Article Link: iTunes Music Store Coming Soon to 10 New European Union Countries?

OK... so now Hong Kong has the Apple Store. When will it have the first iTunes music store then? The city alone has more than 7 million people.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
And yet Apple are still allowed to break the low by preventing a EU citizen to purchase songs from other EU states......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.