iTunes Music Store to Debut Across Latin America on December 8th? [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Next Web summarizes several reports from the Brazilian media claiming that Apple is preparing to launch its iTunes Music Store in Brazil and perhaps throughout Latin America on December 8th. While users in many of these countries currently have access to the App Store, they have been unable to purchase music through iTunes.
According to the weekly Brazilian magazine Veja, the launch of iTunes Music Store even has a date, being scheduled for December 8th. While it seems very soon, Apple has been getting ready beyond the scenes and already closed deals with Brazilian music labels, Veja said.

Veja followed up on its initial piece today, declaring that the Store will launch all across Latin America on the same date, except in Mexico where it is already available.
The report notes that the iTunes Music Store, like the App Store in these countries, will offer pricing in U.S. dollars rather than local currencies, requiring users to hold international credit cards for paid purchases. According to Veja, local currency pricing should arrive for Latin American countries in about six months. The situation is reminiscent of the one in China, where Apple initially required payment in U.S. currency for the App Store but recently began accepting the local renminbi currency.

Apple appears to be taking significant steps to increase its presence in Brazil and the broader Latin American market, working with manufacturing partner Foxconn to launch iPhone and iPad production in Brazil in order to avoid high import taxes that have so far hampered adoption of Apple's products there.

Update: The Associated Press reports that Brazil's major music publishers organization is close to a deal with Apple, setting the stage for an iTunes Store launch by the middle of December.
Executive Director Michaela Couto of the Brazilian Union of Music Publishers tells the O Globo newspaper that negotiations with Apple Inc. are at an "advanced stage" and that iTunes could be launched in Brazil by mid-December.
Article Link: iTunes Music Store to Debut Across Latin America on December 8th? [Updated]

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Apple better come up with something if they want to compete against the Spotify model, the pay per song model is dying.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Great news for Latin America!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Apple better come up with something if they want to compete against the Spotify model, the pay per song model is dying.
Agreed. There was a report in Feb this year on CNN that Apple was in talks with the record labels to offer iTunes Music in 24 bit quality. I don't know the best option but some form of "better than CD" high quality option would be fantastic. I could finally stop buying and ripping CDs.

psalazarc

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Chile
I know I should take it with a grain of salt, but

OMG that would make my year...! If IMS really does launch, it would be one step closer to having iTunes Match! (Though I understand it'll probably be years before that happens.)

Next Up, an Apple Online store! Please! I've already lost hope on a physical one, but perhaps... maybe... an online store? :apple:

Though of course, I'll believe it when I see it :rolleyes:

laflores

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Costa Rica
I live in Costa Rica, and we do have iTunes Music Store. The prices are in US$, and I can pay with my international credit card. Unfortunately, the music selection is limited, compared to the US store.

GEEVER

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
About time... Latinamerica is like the forgotten continent of most american an european companies.

liam5150

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Mexico
En México ha funcionado pero...

Los precios son mucho mas elevados que en otros países, producto creo yo de los aranceles de importación en el caso de los bienes físicos. También es de notar en la App Store los precios siempre han sido en pesos mexicanos, y la selección de música en la tienda iTunes es bastante buena. Hace poco subieron a 12 pesos la canción, estaban en 10.

pake

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
Delft
In Peru I have the same app prices that in the US, so I'm hoping music will be the same too... or lower ;)

Los precios son mucho mas elevados que en otros países, producto creo yo de los aranceles de importación en el caso de los bienes físicos. También es de notar en la App Store los precios siempre han sido en pesos mexicanos, y la selección de música en la tienda iTunes es bastante buena. Hace poco subieron a 12 pesos la canción, estaban en 10.
Deberías traducir tu post para que más personas lo entiendan y utilizar comparaciones objetivas, en porcentaje. ¿Qué es "mucho más elevados" para ti? Además, no tenía idea de cuanto vale un peso y, según lo que veo, 12 pesos es hasta más barato que en EEUU.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
You know what would be cool? If Apple some way could let us who are in the U.S. to be able to download from other countries, such as a way to covert iTunes card money or something. The reason I would like to see this is because a lot of stuff that get release on iTunes in different countries do not get released here in the states such as: Ministry of Sound Albums and Compilations.

That is kind of why I sometimes miss Virgin Mega store for imports.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Crossing fingers! Hope it's true. Apple (and music) fan from Colombia here.
This news is about Portuguese-speaking BRAZIL only; therefore, this launch is not relevant for Latinos.

In any case, excellent news for the gigantic and increasingly rich Brazilian market - I just don't understand why sources such as MacNN reported that many people in Brazil don't have a credit card, while at the same time stating that 72% of the population owns one. The US itself has what, 76%?

Besides, it is obvious that the target market is not someone living in the slums without a computer (although even the number of these is falling every day in BR). Brazil is already one of the top 5 computer markets in the world - the ITMS down there (including Brazilian Portuguese content) will be a HUGE success in the medium term.

jacobo007

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
Completamente falso, dada la paridad del peso mexicano con el dólar americano.

*Translation for those of you who care... this poster is arguing that iTunes Store prices in Mexico are "much higher", i'm pointing out that that is false given the currency exchange.

cara0910

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
This news is about Portuguese-speaking BRAZIL only; therefore, this launch is not relevant for Latinos.

In any case, excellent news for the gigantic and increasingly rich Brazilian market - I just don't understand why sources such as MacNN reported that many people in Brazil don't have a credit card, while at the same time stating that 72% of the population owns one. The US itself has what, 76%?

Besides, it is obvious that the target market is not someone living in the slums without a computer (although even the number of these is falling every day in BR). Brazil is already one of the top 5 computer markets in the world - the ITMS down there (including Brazilian Portuguese content) will be a HUGE success in the medium term.
I agree with you, although I have noticed that people in Brazil are VERY hesitant to use credit cards online. Things are changing on that front, though.

EdRed

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Venezuela
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

"...perhaps throughout Latin America..."
I really hope this is true. Been waiting forever.

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010

Yes, it is relevant to latinos as well. And let me quote from Veja article: "It’s not only about Brazil: Veja followed up on its initial piece today, declaring that the Store will launch all across Latin America on the same date, except in Mexico where it is already available." Chilean and Argentinian tech blogs already are echoing same rumors, so the potential iTMS for Latin America have some leverage. My guess is that you didn't read all the article.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Latin America?? We have had iTunes music store since long ago in Mexico, which just happens to be part of latin america.

They might be trying to say south america, or the rest of latin america for that matter.

Pricing wise, it's fare. Almost exactly the same price as in US, and virtually the same catalogue as in US.

If they stick to the same schema with the rest of latin america, it will be very successful, haven't gone to a music store since iTunes debuted here.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Yes, it is relevant to latinos as well. And let me quote from Veja article: "It’s not only about Brazil: Veja followed up on its initial piece today, declaring that the Store will launch all across Latin America on the same date, except in Mexico where it is already available." Chilean and Argentinian tech blogs already are echoing same rumors, so the potential iTMS for Latin America have some leverage. My guess is that you didn't read all the article.
My comment was based on the article posted here, which simply talked about the Brazilian store and Brazilian musicians.

In any case, if this is what Veja wrote, I stand corrected; thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.