iTunes Music Synch via Dropbox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ryan101, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ryan101 macrumors member

Hello All,

I am not sure if this is the right section for this. Anyway, I have a 10GB iTunes music on MacBook. I have put the music on Dropbox. I have also pointed my iMac iTunes to the same place. So in theory they should both show the same number of songs but they don't. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

I have checked that both Dropbox accounts are fully synched and up to date.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Sharing a database which is expressly designed to not be shared is a bad idea. Assuming that you get it to work... you are likely to one of the long list of people who come back with corrupted databases, missing content, etc, etc.

This is true for iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture, etc.

/Jim

3. ryan101 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Jim, the thing is it has worked for more than 6 months. It never caused me any issue. Apart from displaying the wrong numbers which I mentioned above. So I found it OK.

However, it doesn't matter anymore. I have decided to join Apple Match and Google Play to store my music. So it kind of solves my problem. I would go with Google Play if it had an app for Apple. However, for the moment, I will use both and synch to each other which seems to work.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

That is the better way to go. Between here, and other forums... I tend to see someone just about every day who has screwed up their iTunes, iPhoto, or Aperture trying to share a library that was not meant to be shared. It is easy to have it work for a while... but eventually things go sideways.

/Jim