iTunes, NAS and permissions.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hafr, Nov 24, 2013.

1. hafr macrumors 68030

I noticed some files in my iTunes library (located on a MyBook Live 2 TB) had their information greyed out (meaning I couldn't change it). Checking them in Finder I saw that they were Read Only. I tried changing - no luck (not enough permissions apparently). I tried changing it through Terminal - no luck there either.

But there are no problems moving them or deleting them through Finder, I just can't use iTunes to change anything.

If I use TuneSpan to move a file from the NAS to the internal hard drive I can make changes. If I make the change in iTunes and then send it back to the NAS using the same app - I can continue to make changes in iTunes. But if I do the same thing without changing anything, the write protected permission goes back into play...

Sometimes, if I completely remove the album for example, and re-add it, it'll have the correct permissions...

It's all very strange, and I have no idea what might be the problem. I doubt the drive itself is corrupted, since this only happens with files that iTunes moves to the drive. Also, since I'm able to move, delete and rename files and folders through Finder, but not through iTunes, I'm certain that it's iTunes that's the problem.

I've reinstalled iTunes, and I've tried starting a new library - but this keeps happening. I can't really find a lot online either. Does anyone know anything about this?

2. drsox, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

IMO it's a result of the file's owner settings on the NAS. On my NASs (ReadyNAS units), there's a work around that allows files to be unlocked temporarily by changing permissions. I suggest you see if there's a similar features on your unit.

It could be that the files are "owned" by the system and not by you as a user. Maybe the you as the NAS user is different to the you as the OSX user. I used to get a similar problem when I couldn't access my files from my Win7 PC that I had created on my Mac - even though the same user credentials were in use on all three devices (NAS, PC, Mac).

3. hafr thread starter macrumors 68030

I can't find anything like that... But if this were the case, shouldn't it affect all files, and in Finder as well? To take an example, I ripped two albums into iTunes yesterday. One became write protected, the other didn't... I deleted it and re-ripped it, and everything was fine.

It's not really that big of a deal, since I usually make sure all the metadata is correct before adding anything into the library - but it's a really weird mystery...

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Yes, it should be repeatable and consistent. Clearly not the case with this ! Does the problem occur if you rip the album to a second iTunes library (on your Mac) and then import it into the first library (on your NAS) ? i.e. is it a ripping problem or a file import problem ?