iTunes + NAS = !

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by neil1980, Apr 4, 2010.

1. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Well a few weeks back I moved my itunes library onto my nas (kept the library file on the macbook was just the media that was moved) and all was great.

However... when I sync my iPhone to the macbook a load of albums have ! next to them and I get an error message saying that files couldn't be found.

If I double click on any song with a ! next to it it starts playing without problem (I don't even need to locate the file it just plays)

Firstly any ideas what would cause this? (it seems to be pretty random which albums have the ! next to them)

and secondly is there anyway to sort the song list or anything so I can go through the songs with exclamation marks quicker? as it is I have to scroll down the whole library looking out for them

2. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

I have the same kind of setup as you. When you have your music on an external hard drive, usually people change the prefs so that the music stays on that drive when you "add to library" instead of having it copy the files over. So, iTunes will "see" the songs but if you try to sync them its not going to work. I'm not sure if this is your exact issue, it is hard to say without knowing exactly how you set all of it up in the first place.

3. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

could be the nas/external drive has not activated/spun up/woke from sleep when you plug your iPhone in to sync the music.

which will generally result in the error.

make sure prior to launching itunes the NAS/Drive is on/spinning.
    you can also have the NAS launch at login/start up too which helps having to locate it via finder.
    or put a alias on your desktop for it too might help.

4. neil1980 thread starter macrumors 6502