iTunes necessary for file management?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by griffsterb, Aug 5, 2011.

1. griffsterb macrumors newbie

okay, i absolutely love my phone but I am sick and tired of this bloated piece of garbage software. the last straw came today while updating itunes a bunch of my desktop icons were messed up (all of MS office, and more) and now i can't figure out how to get them back.

so i'm done with this. it's bloated, the interface sucks, there is no customization, etc etc etc.

do i need this program to manage things on my phone? it is jailbroken and i know how to SSH into it, so i'm thinking maybe i could do it that way. any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

iTunes isn't the cause of your icons. Sorry.

And as far as no customization, what exactly are you looking for that iTunes doesn't do?

I'm so damn tired of hearing the masses of sheep call it "bloated" and terrible, but offer absolutely no explanation of why. Name me one other piece of software that does what it does and better.

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

How you get around using iTunes depends on the files and apps, really. I use PhoneView on the Mac to backup/move some things, and in app external backup solutions that tie into Dropbox or MobileMe for others. About the only time I plug in to iTunes is for firmware upgrades (EXTREMELY rarely, as I'm also JB'd) or to manipulate music files--which could also be done with PwnTunes if I chose to purchase that app.

If you tell us what you want to accomplish, perhaps we can make more specific suggestions. And this thread may belong in the Hacks section, as a lot of potential solutions like PwnTunes won't work on stock phones.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Every file manager since the invention of the GUI?

Phazer