iTunes needs some work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Just tried to manually sync ringtones and it would not add more than one, then I turned on syncing and it wiped my music away... how annoying!

Why can't we add more than one ringtone by manually managing it? It should be possible. Just like music.

Also IMO Apple should add another folder next to "Music", "Movies" and "Ringtones" called "Photos" and let us manually manage and drag and drop pictures instead of syncing.

More manual control in general.

2. Dumbledorelives, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011

Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I agree. I just switched over to a new computer, and it was a real pain getting my iPhone configured to the new one. It messed up the order of all my apps, deleted some of them, wiped the podcasts from the phone....ugh.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I agree with more control, but I disagree with the photo comment. Most computers come with reasonably good photo managers installed. What we don't need is a built in photo manager in iTunes. iTtunes is already bloatware, and IMO, I sure hope they don't make it worse by adding a useless photo manager to it.

4. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I'm not asking for a photo manager, just a folder where we can simply drag and drop the photos from all over the place instead of being forced to sync from one specific location.

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

OK, I misunderstood...Not a bad idea, but I don't see how that would work, since the photos are stored elsewhere.

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

its needs a way to save apps data so if something happened to your device you dont have to restore the whole backup. or if i delete an app because its taking up too much space i can install it later without having to start a game over again or lose the data i had

7. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Yes, I'd love that aswell, complete control of backups on per application basis.

If I accidentally delete a contact I don't want to restore the whole backup just for that.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I have no problems syncing ringtones.

ETA: This is a lame idea. I already have my photos folder that I specified in itunes. I drop whatever photos I need to in here and it syncs with my phone fine.

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Same here.

Works perfect for me :)

10. mltaylor macrumors regular

I don't have any problems with iTunes when it comes to syncing music or photos.

I do manually add everything though because that gives me the power :eek:...lol but seriously.

I do have serious issues with iTunes when it comes to DRM and that non sense. I wish it were optional to use iTunes the way it is now and to use a drag and drop sort of program.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I've had problems with syncing Ringtones in the past.

I think it's an area Apple hasn't really shown an interest in for a long time and as such it's not as reliable as other things.

12. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Not only is it a bad idea, it just flat wouldn't work on a Mac, if the user was using iPhoto.

Most Mac users use an app called iPhoto for photo management, and iPhoto stores the photos in a database that most users can't access unless they know how. Without going in to all of the reasons of why iPhoto does this, suffice it to say, that if you do manage to get into that folder and drag a photo out, you have just corrupted the iPhoto database, and that is definitely not a good thing. That, right there, is the reason you wont see dragging and dropping of photos in iTunes.

Organize, manage, divide, and or sort your photos into as many folders, albums or events as you like, and they are easily selected and synced back to the iDevice in iTunes.

13. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

The itunes store is slow as efffffff for me wish they could make it a little smoother

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I used to use windows until I got my mac, so I never got used to using iphoto. I kept my iphone photos in a folder in my computer. When I moved to mac, I continued that practice.

15. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I bought my first Mac 3 months ago, and at first, I absolutely hated iPhoto, because of that database, and the multiple copies it makes; but I finally gave in and decided to just let iPhoto do it's thing, and manage my photos.:D I gotta say, I really like it now; IMO, it is sooo much better than the "windows way".

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I have and will ALWAYS HATE iTunes and the way my iPad has to depend on it!:p

Apple has deliberately stuck us with iTunes like a plague so are restricted as to what we can do with our Apple hardware. This is why jail breaking will always be so popular!

17. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

You can sync ringtones, however, select "Manually managed my music and videos" and try to manually drag and drop them into the iPhone, you won't be able to.

18. eastercat, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Oh yeah, I forgot manually manage is an option. I sync the automated way.
    I move the ringtone to the ringtones folder first, check the ringtone in the ringtones tab, then sync.
    I have an issue with having copies on my computer and my drobo. It annoys me with my music and itunes, but I sometimes take my notebook with me, so I need something to sync my iphone with.
    Granted, I have a hd backup of my drobo and I'm thinking of DVD backups as well, but that's the only kind of redundancy I'm comfortable with.