iTunes (new Mac) freezes when I connect old iPod

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swedefish, Oct 23, 2011.

1. swedefish macrumors 6502

iTunes on my new Mac freezes whenever I connect my iPod touch. I didn't restore my old settings for the new Mac but I did copy and paste my old library files so all my playlists, etc are intact. What could be the cause of this problem and how should I go about addressing it? I'm thinking it might be necessary to reset the iPod, but I'd really rather not do that for a variety of reasons. Any advice welcome.

And before anyone asks: yes, I have poked around online but haven't come across anyone with the same problem; also, I have restarted the system with the iPod connected.

Thanks.

2. btbeme macrumors regular

If you still have access to your old computer, you might try making sure that it has the latest iTunes update applied, then try moving that updated version of the xml file into your new iTunes folder.

You can also try rebuilding your iTunes library. An easy way to do so it to go into Preferences - advanced and point the library to a different device, such as an external hard drive. Let iTunes rebuild your library, then switch it back and let it rebuild again. Your playlists will still be there, but the rest of the library will be fresh.