iTunes/New Mac Question

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Southeastern Louisiana
Quick question for the rest of the Macheads out there.

When/If I purchase a new Mac, my iTunes library can easily be transfered over by just dragging the entire Music folder out of my home directory to the new home directory (Via Firewire Target Mode) correct?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If a) your iTunes Music folder is in there (and you let iTunes keep it organized) and b) the file "iTunes Library" is in there too, then yes, that should work just fine.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
If you have an iPod, you can:

-Sync your library with your iPod.
-Download ephPod (the Windows version, I don't know any Mac versions) and rip the songs off of your iPod.

DONE. Easy.

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
If your old computer is a Mac, you can use the setup assistant and it will put everything from your old computer where it needs to be. It works amazingly well and can save a ton of time trying to get preferences back to how you had them on the old computer. This would be my first option.

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Southeastern Louisiana
wwooden said:
If your old computer is a Mac, you can use the setup assistant and it will put everything from your old computer where it needs to be. It works amazingly well and can save a ton of time trying to get preferences back to how you had them on the old computer. This would be my first option.
Well, I don't have the new computer quite yet...but this is sorta the point of starting fresh. I don't want to bring over the little nit picky stuff that's hidden and I don't know about, I'd like to bring over only the necessary stuff and nothing else.

Just trying to avoid ripping 200+ CDs again...

But yeah, iTunes' library is all contained in my music folder in my home directory. Bringing that over should make iTunes automatically update itself on the new computer? NO hidden files I gotta find or anything, right?

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Southeastern Louisiana
amholl said:
This is why I keep everything on my external LaCie...I can transfer w/o hassle
Yeah well, unless you have the $300 to send me to purchase one or you want to send me one...that's not exactly an option. Neither is the use of an iPod. Because I don't have one and certainly can't afford one.