iTunes = No HD Movie Purchases?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KyleHarrison, Sep 28, 2009.

1. KyleHarrison macrumors newbie

i need to get something straight before i continue on with my plans for what im going to do with my home setup.

iTunes, does it sell HD Movies? I dont care if it contains iTunes Extras, i just want to be sure. i=is it true that iTunes only does so in 720p with Apple TV going full 1080?
    On that note, i know i can rent HD movies, but i cant find one for sale...

On the next note, thanks to the itunes store redesign some notes are cutoff and i need some clarity, are the Apple HD Movie Purchases in part or whole available only on Apple TV?
    If so, i need to think of an alternative solution then as my plans for a near perfect digital movie distribution in Canada without an extra big purchase is bust AGAIN.

Thanks guys!

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yes you can buy HD movies on iTunes, but only a few movies. See Quantum of Solace for an example.

And no they are not 1080p, both iTunes-purchased and Apple TV-rented movies are 720p.

3. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Yes, they are 720p, and I know there are some for sale. The only true way to get 1080p right now is through Blu-Ray. 1080p movies are just too large for digital distribution at the moment. An average 1080p movie is around 20GB without the extras, but more and more movies are exceeding that and using up the 50GB limit permitted by the larger BluRay discs.

The best thing to do is use the Apple TV for streaming purchased iTunes content, since it has DRM. I would then get a PS3 (you can get a used fatty one now for around 200.00), and use that for streaming your music, other videos, playing the occasional game, and of course playing true 1080p movies.

EDIT - I currently use my iMac connected up to my HDTV to play my purchased videos, as well as some internet videos. I use my 360 to stream NetFlix movies and tv shows, as well as playing video games. And I use my PS3 to play BluRay and all my music and regular videos as well as 1080p clips that I download from the internet (most of them are like 2 minutes are are usually over 300mb, they are huge).

4. KyleHarrison thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a ps3 and an xbox 360, but being a candian makes both services a pain to use.
    I had recetly received a macmini from a friend for around $100, and instead of paying for any other service I planned on iTunes store

ok so now i know I can get HD movies from iTunes, but is it true that some HD content is only available on apple tv?

And also this isn't a great convenient way to build up my movie collection? Im just sick of toting around boxes of discs of movies because i too once followed the "i like the product in my hands" tribe. I want to go completely digital, itll be a great way to eliminate clutter. Cause lets face it, when you go to move to a new location, would you like 5 boxes of discs youll rarely ever watch again shy a select couple, or a single small harddrive filled with movies you can easily search through via keywords or browse via Frontrow. Im ready to embrace the Digital Distribution world, and stuff like iTunes Extras only sweetens the pot.
    Thats my thought, let me know if my heads in the clouds or something :p Cause while i like my 1080p on Blu-Ray, i rarely make use of the "Extras" it packs on there lol

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I am one in the boat who believes in digital distribution to an extent. Physical media isn't going anywhere anytime soon and I believe that is for the better. Like you I prefer having everything accessible from my fingertips so I can watch what I want without going through clutter. I too have a huge collection but mostly video games.

But I like to have a physical copy of all my media, mostly. If I buy movies online, I make sure to burn them to a disc as a backup. But I prefer buying them on disc first and then copying them to my computer for use in my entertainment system. Most of my favorite dvds are copied onto my PS3 HD from my Mac.

This avoids the whole DRM issue so I can watch it on whatever device I want, without taking unnecessary steps. It is also good because I can more than likely get that movie anywhere between 20 and 50 percent off what online stores are charging for digital movies.

But I'm certainly biased towards physical media, I love the BluRay standard and am building up my collection quite nicely. The only reason I would use digital content besides music, is for renting movies (either from iTunes or through NetFlix streaming service).

6. KyleHarrison thread starter macrumors newbie

*sigh* thats looking like what im going to end up doing...
    I just hate how expensive Blu-Rays are... $35 for the cheapest for new releases, and only some have that Digital Copy thing.
    And worst of all, i still dont have anyway to rip BD discs yet for that very purpose of building up the digital library :\

Looks like what im asking for is a true pipe dream, and thats truely a shame. lol.

7. seashellz macrumors 6502

8. tmofee macrumors regular

I don't think Blu Ray is going anywhere soon. BUT I don't see DVDs disappearing for the meantime either.

There are always going to be TV shows, movies etc that will NEVER get a hi def release. Nothing to do with expenses, the fact is a lot of content is just not for hi def. Which is fine! But for the newer shows, and films that have the hi def option available, I see people buying them. Maybe not everyone, but a more for the film buffs. And there's plenty of them around. Laserdisc was around for a long time. It didn't truly start to die until DVDs were a reality.

Just remember how dear DVDs were when they first came out. Prices will start to go down. Just today I saw my first two movie blu ray collection in one cover for a cheap price. And Blazing Saddles was selling for A$20, which is pretty damn good I think. People are getting better and better tellys too. With ps3 being as cheap as they are now, I know I'm going to get blu ray copies from now on. Will I replace my complete DVD collection? Hell no, but why go backwards??